Thread: Upgrade Time

Upgrade Time

Ok, here is a question .... are the Athlon XPxy00+ series procesors worth getting or are they junk compared to their older 1.3ghz processors? I currently have a 600mhz Athlon and am upgrading the processor/motherboard and am wondering if i should Athlon XP or Athlon (or Pentium ....). Anyone know how far off the IA64 processors are?

Darn upgrade bug ....

Re: Upgrade Time

If your going to get a new cpu, get the Athlon XP. They are much more powerful than the older styles.

Ok, here is a question .... are the Athlon XPxy00+ series procesors worth getting or are they junk compared to their older 1.3ghz processors? I currently have a 600mhz Athlon and am upgrading the processor/motherboard and am wondering if i should Athlon XP or Athlon (or Pentium ....). Anyone know how far off the IA64 processors are?

Darn upgrade bug ....
    The XPīs are a bit faster than the thunderbirds clock for clock. Not much though.

The only reason to buy a thunderbird instead of an XP is if your mb can only take t-birds. Go for the XP if you are going to buy a new motherbord. The XP 1700+ is probably a good choice.

I wouldnīt hold my breath waiting for IA64. I think the P4 will be Intelīs flagship desktop cpu for atleast another year or two.

The XPīs are a bit faster than the thunderbirds clock for clock. Not much though.

The only reason to buy a thunderbird instead of an XP is if your mb can only take t-birds. Go for the XP if you are going to buy a new motherbord. The XP 1700+ is probably a good choice.

I wouldnīt hold my breath waiting for IA64. I think the P4 will be Intelīs flagship desktop cpu for atleast another year or two.
    The XP's are a lot faster than the regular old t-birds. The XP's also have SSE extensions which make up all the difference between p4's and XP's the way things currently are a XP 1800 is faster than a 2.0ghz P4. The t-birds are okay but looking into the future the XP's are the way to go. I wouldnt be waiting to go 64bit arch yet, it will be a while before it goes mainstream.

For the money, xp's are the way to go. Just bought a 1900+ for a little under $200. The only issue I have is that it runs very, very hot. My Pentium4 1.9ghz seems to run much cooler. Can't really tell the difference if one is faster than the other, but there are a ton of people out there that swear on the AMD's new architecture. I believe it is supposed to procces for times as much data as the pentiums. Correct me if I am wrong.

For the money you can't beat the AMD. By the way, Krex.com has good prices on AMD processors and Boards. That is where I got mine.

--Greg

i've heard a lot of good things about the Athlon XP processor. if i was gonna upgrade my CPU i'd go for an XP too though

too bad they couldn't get a better name... XP kinda reminds me of some quality-lacking product

too bad they couldn't get a better name... XP kinda reminds me of some quality-lacking product
    Yeah, there is a certain broken legacy OS that comes to mind...