Thread: Modem being detected as NIC

Modem being detected as NIC

First off I am runing SuSE 7.3.

I have been fighting to get my Intel HaM modem(kind of funny that is like saying a NIC card). I figured out a day ago that SuSE is recognizing it as a ethernet controller. How can I tell SuSE it is not a NIC, but a modem? When installing the modem drivers, I get a insmod error:

Using /lib/modules/2.4.10-4GB/kernel/drivers/char/ham.o
    /lib/modules/2.4.10-4GB/kernel/drivers/char/ham.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
    Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
    done

Now I have tried insmod -f ham.o and I get the same error. I know the IO and IRQ of the modem, but setserial wont work since I can not get the drivers completely installed, since it is seeing that the IO and IRQ is already being used by the supposed NIC.

Thanks!

Re: Modem being detected as NIC

hello, i should not be responding knowing my luck at helping with wireless cards.... but:
    1st i would try removing the module loaded currently.
    2nd - is there an entry for the card in /etc/modules.conf (or whatever suse calls it, it may be conf.modules)
    next look here at:
    http://www.linmodems.org/
    under Intel HaM driver, they have a small readme which may be helpful, you may need to recreate the device file in /dev/ wiuth the minor/major numbers mentioned.

Thanks for the reply, I will restart and take a look.

As for the readme and drivers and such I have read through them all. The problem I am having seems that SuSE sees it as a wrong device. I did not configure the "NIC" that SuSE is finding, as I cant. Since I dont know how to make it so SuSE does not see it as a NIC I have no way to mess with settings ???

Kind Mastermind

Thanks for the reply, I will restart and take a look.

As for the readme and drivers and such I have read through them all. The problem I am having seems that SuSE sees it as a wrong device. I did not configure the "NIC" that SuSE is finding, as I cant. Since I dont know how to make it so SuSE does not see it as a NIC I have no way to mess with settings *???
    I just read a few things that are quite interesting. *Which ham drivers are you using? *This link http://developer.intel.com/design/mo...rs/r-333-5.htm states that the drivers are not compatible with 2.4.x kernels. *Plus, this site said that some modem drivers have a problem with odd kernels:

http://www.heby.de/ltmodem, here is an excerpt:
    Common Problems and Solutions
    To build a driver from source code you will need to install the full (and configured) kernel source, only the kernel headers are not enough. If the build fails on your computer with error messages referring to kernel headers that should not be used to build kernel space drivers this is most probably the reason why. For more detailed information please read this email.

Another very common problem are kernels with "kernel flavour" name like e.g. the notorious SuSE 2.X.Y-4GB problem which leads to version mismatch errors on inserting the modules. A workaround is described here.
    Note that the fixscript that is linked in this posting is outdated. Please use the newest version of the fixscript.
    You could also just change the version number in linux/include/linux/version.h from 2.X.Y to 2.X.Y-4GB which is also known to work but deprecated since one should generally avoid changes to header files that come with the distribution; maybe after all SuSE has a reason to deliver a version.h that is mismatched with the kernel images they deliver.
    I hope the above helps.

That is a nice find, I will give it a try. Right now I am downloading the lastest kernel from SuSE 2.4.16 and am hopping it will fix something.

I actually have a more recent driver than that on the Intel site dated January 18th, 2002. It is for 2.4.x kernels. A driver in the RPM format is also included with SuSE 7.3

Would you suggest me using fixscript or changing it manually? I hope this works, but it still does not fix the problem of the modem being read as a NIC causing the IO and IRQ's being busy.