Thread: major hd problems

major hd problems

ok guys this isn't really a linux problem but it definitely is a hardware issue.
    i had an old Maxtor Diamondmax 20gigger, about 3 years old, and it started giving me issues. Constant lockups, and then it started spinning down and then spinning back up. On it's final night of life it spinned down, then back up, rinse and repeat. So i got my hands on a maxtor 80gig (7200rpm ata133). i plugged it in , and it turned out to be DOA (just my luck). i got a replacement from maxtor this week and got it in the system friday afternoon. it seemed to do that spindown thing once during fdisk, so i had to reboot. it didn't cause any problems up until 20 minutes ago, started the exact same bull that the 20gigger was doing. i rebooted, got a disk i/o error, but rebooted and now i'm in windows fine. i don't know what the problem is. btw, when the 80gigger spinds down , it makes one loud click and then starts the spindown. any ideas guys? i'm really stuck and i'm thinking it might be the ide controller on the mobo that's causing the problem. i mean the 20gigger seems to be dead anyway, cuz whenever i booted it up with it plugged into the primary or secondary controller as a slave, it got bad sectors, but when it was a master on either, it gave me that spindown problem. please help!

Re: major hd problems

Test with another controller, then give us a holla !

I tend to agree that it can only be the controller which is faulty, I assume that it's mounted properly and gets the correct amount of power

Test with another controller, then give us a holla !

I tend to agree that it can only be the controller which is faulty, I assume that it's mounted properly and gets the correct amount of power
    well currently i only have windows installed (i need a pc to do basic work and haven't had the time to get windows going). but yes there seems to be the right kind of power. i mean i'm at my wit's end with this stuff. last week wasn't really treating me too well (i'm surprised i didn't end up with an ulcer after all this). problem is i don't have any pci slots open (they are all taken). that and i can't reproduce the error. it just happens. this is the first time since i got the drive in on friday afternoon. and i don't have any diagnostic equipment here. arg. any other ideas?

Other than slapping it in another box, no.

You HAVE to isolate the disk as the problem...