Thread: Big H.D.'s and Linux

Big H.D.'s and Linux

I've heard that there is (or was) some kind of limitatation in Linux that only allows it to "see" 30 Gb. of hard drive. Now, I don't know if that means there is a 30Gb PARTITION limitation, or a TOTAL of 30Gb of hard drive space. Does this limitation exist? Or is it one of those MS F.U.D. things. I'd like to take advantage of the prices for some of the enormous drives on the market, but there's not much point in buying a 160 Gb drive, if I can only use 30 Gb of it.

Re: Big H.D.'s and Linux

If you are going to buy a 160GB Maxtor drive you might want to check this thread on Ars.

If you are going to buy a 160GB Maxtor drive you might want to check this thread on Ars.
    That's an intersting thread, although it doesn't answer my question. No, I'm not thinking about a 160 Gb drive. I WOULD like to use 2- 60 Gb's though. My long-term (stress:long) thought is; I want to use the 2 drives I have now (an 8.4 Gb and a !5 Gb.) for a yet-to-be-built server. I want to run 2- 60 Gb, 7200 R.P.M.'s in my desktop, I figure that'll be plenty of elbow room, and I can still have backup space on each drive (it's been my experience that if you're ready for trouble, it doesn't happen). I intend to continue my distro-slut ways, trying everything I can, and learning as I go, so I think that 120 Gb of hard drive space would allow me to do that comfortably. But, to get back to my original question, does the 30 gig limit exist?

Advisor

These might give some info on it:
    http://www.ibiblio.org/mdw/HOWTO/Lar...-HOWTO-11.html
    http://www.ibiblio.org/mdw/HOWTO/Lar...-HOWTO-12.html

But since we've switched to 2.4 kernels, I dont see that to be teh problem any more..

Lovechild has a 40 GB drive. I'm sure he'd have bitched and complained to us by now if there was 10 GBs of it that he couldn't use

Mentor

I have an 80GB hard drive installed on a new box at work with a 72GB reiserfs partition under kernel 2.4.3. Had absolutely no problem with it. There might have been such limitations with older kernels, but not any more.

same for me 2.4.12 kernel 100 gb hd no problem at all
    there's is though an 1 tb limit in the linux kernel if that present's a problem for you

same for me 2.4.12 kernel 100 gb hd no problem at all
    there's is though an 1 tb limit in the linux kernel if that present's a problem for you
    Oh, wow- there go all my plans!! How could they put such a restrictive limitation in the kernel? I mean, I have a LOT of files.
    (If anyone finds this personally offensive, or disturbing, the previous post was done in the spirit of sarcastic irony or ironic sarcasm, if you prefer.)
    This message has been examined by The Committee, and has been judged Politically Correct.- Thank you, The Committee

Good Guru

This message has been examined by The Committee, and has been judged Politically Correct.- Thank you, The Committee
    hhmm.. I wonder why I wasn't invited?? :P ;D

hhmm.. I wonder why I wasn't invited?? *:P *;D
    The Committee is SO exclusive, it doesn't have any members, because nobody meets it's sandards! ;D ;D ;D