Thread: DFI K6XV3+/66 mainboard and HDD >32GB

DFI K6XV3+/66 mainboard and HDD >32GB

I've got an old K6 on the above mentioned mainboard and this 60GB HDD lying around. However, I can only make use of 32GB. I tried the BIOS updates from dfi.com but that didn't change a thing.

Does anybody have the secret link to the BIOS update I need in order to get it to see the full size?

Cheers, demian

Re: DFI K6XV3+/66 mainboard and HDD >32GB

I've got an old K6 on the above mentioned mainboard and this 60GB HDD lying around. However, I can only make use of 32GB. I tried the BIOS updates from dfi.com but that didn't change a thing.

Does anybody have the secret link to the BIOS update I need in order to get it to see the full size?

Cheers, demian
    It just may be a limitation of the bios. Look into ez-bios, it will fool your bios into accepting the full size of the drive.

Milage may vary.

Cheers, demian
    When you say you can only make use of 32GB do you mean that linux sees only 32GB or does it say 32GB in the bios? I have heard that even if the bios doesnīt see the entire hd linux will.

I have no idea if itīs correct but if you havenīt tried to install linux yet you might want to give it a try.

No, it's linux that doesn't see more than 32GB. The BIOS, of course, too. But what's strange is that I read on the kernel mailing list several times that linux doesn't care what the BIOS says, it will use the proper HD size. Not for me: When I run fdisk /dev/hda I get a size of something around 32GB...

No, it's linux that doesn't see more than 32GB. The BIOS, of course, too. But what's strange is that I read on the kernel mailing list several times that linux doesn't care what the BIOS says, it will use the proper HD size. Not for me: When I run fdisk /dev/hda I get a size of something around 32GB...
    Check the jumpers on your HDD. Some newer HDD's, for compatability with older BIOS's, have a jumper to limit the amount of space to be used. I've personaly used a Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 80GB on one of those boards. Also, if it's an ATA100 drive, make sure to use the utility found at the HDD manufactures' website to set the drive to ATA66. My Seagate was set to ATA100 but got recognized as ATA87, or some off the wall crap. It didn't effect the size of the drive but I got sub-ATA66 performance from it.

Check the jumpers on your HDD. Some newer HDD's, for compatability with older BIOS's, have a jumper to limit the amount of space to be used.
    Right- it's called the "32GB clip".

:-[

Got it. It was as simple as upgrading the kernel (2.2.18 -> 2.4.18-rc4) Thanks for your suggestions.