Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

I have lowered my cpu's temp...

Thread: I have lowered my cpu's temp...

I have lowered my cpu's temp...

Hi guys and gals,

As some of you know I have been having some problems with my box.. I suspected that it had been overheating... I just bought this big heat sink that I *THINK* it has lowered my CPU temp by 40 degrees F.

One questions... IS my power supply supposed to be hot/warm? I have a lot of stuff in my box..:
    CD-Rom
    CD-RW
    Internal ZIp
    Floppy
    20 GiG HD
    Chasis Fan
    Is that TOO much stuff for my 250 watt power supply?

Re: I have lowered my cpu's temp...

Hi guys and gals,

As some of you know I have been having some problems with my box.. I suspected that it had been overheating... I just bought this big heat sink that I *THINK* it has lowered my CPU temp by 40 degrees F.

One questions... IS my power supply supposed to be hot/warm? I have a lot of stuff in my box..:
    CD-Rom
    CD-RW
    Internal ZIp
    Floppy
    20 GiG HD
    Chasis Fan
    Is that TOO much stuff for my 250 watt power supply?
    Depending on your case (which you forgot to tell us) size. Is it a full tower a mini tower etc. If its a full tower you might be better off upgrading the power supply to a 300 or 350 watt. if you are running a mid/mini tower way to much stuff for way too small a space for heat distribution. You also did not tell us how hot was your cpu running before you lowered it 40 degrees? And which cpu you have?

Well thats it I am back to courier MTA for round 400.

Ras

hello,
    wow - a 40 F drop, that is huge. i would defiantely want a bigger power supply, you did not tell us how much memory you have, video card (and its memory) and the CPU all of which can suck alot of current.

I got an AMD K6-2 550 MHZ, 128MB RAM, ATI Xpert@Play 98 (PCI), and a FULL Tower

ah - you should be good then.

I built a board a couple of years ago, AMD K-62 450MHZ. It kept crashing during Linux installs, signal 11, in Winblows, I constantly got page fault errors, just as unstable as could be. Nothing I tried worked. I swapped out every single piece of hardware on the box to no avail; except for one - the fan/heatsink.

I finally realized I might have a heat problem. I got a Globalwin fan with a fricking massive heatsink and thermal paste. Put that baby in, and then that machine was the most rock-solid stable machine I'd ever used after that. It seems that when the CPU temp hit about 60 deg. celsius, that's when the problems would start. Never had a problem again after putting in the correct fan. Sucker at a local computer store sold me the old fan. I said "that looks kind of small". and he said "that's the right one." I don't go to that place anymore.

To answer your question though gnomero, during my travails I considered the power supply as well. From my research, I saw a lot of debate as to whether you need a 300W power supply or not. I saw a lot of stuff that said 250W ought to be plenty for what you have there. I saw others that said get the 300W. I bought a 300W power supply, and I haven't had any problems.

Bottom line is, I think, 250W ought to be enough for what you have, but heck, power units aren't that expensive. If you have any doubt, get the 300.