Thread: SAMBA

SAMBA

What's your experience with SAMBA? I've got that network set up between my linux box and my windows box, and I was thinking of setting up SAMBA to share files between the computers (particularly so that I can transfer my files onto his computer so I can burn stuff on his burner).

Anybody have any suggestions/things to look out for/horror stories related to SAMBA?

Re: SAMBA

samba is pretty easy to set up.
    www.samab.org

Uh, ok, I've got it so that I can see my computer in the Network Neighborhood of the windows box, but when I try to access it, it says I need a password. What password?? I never configured a password! ???

Umm.. Try a username and password set up on that machine. Think that might be what you have to do.

Turns out I just had to guess what the heck username the windoze box was trying to use, then create a user account on my computer with the same name, then configure samba's password. I got it all working and I even played some of my Oggs on the computer across the network

Now that his computer can browse (some of) my files, I need to figure out how to access his box from here... shouldn't be too hard

I am trying for a week now to configure the samba to work with win xp and win 98 can you tell me what did you do

I also got a message when you try to access the linux box that you are connected as a guest and need a password.

what did you do???

I am trying for a week now to configure the samba to work with win xp and win 98 can you tell me what did you do

I also got a message when you try to access the linux box that you are connected as a guest and need a password.

what did you do???
    I didn't use WinXP is what I did

All I did was create a user on my linux box with the same username as the windows box was trying to use (it's the username that you use to log into the windows box with), and then it worked.