Thread: Let me know if I am wrong

Good Guru

Let me know if I am wrong

My main box jsut got a new hard drive. Reinstalled RH7.2 that night after I did my best to backup the old drives data. Well now it is running shitty as all hell. The thing locks up constantly and now has come to the point where the system wont even complete a fsck.

Now as for troubleshooting -- I think it may be my power supply. The damn thing started overheating recently. I suppose if one of the power reuglators is getting flaky -- I may be getting a low set of voltages on the 5/12V lines as well as a MUCH lower wattage. I havent got to verify that with my meter, but its a logical assumption.

However I do recall a few others mentioning some issues with new drives, so a quick stroll here came immendiatley to mind.

I have a 900Tbird with a ATA66 controller. The drive is an ATA100. Are there any LILO parameters or modules I need to load to take advantage of my ATA66 (old one was 33)? Or anything else I may have neglected?

If I dont go out tonight, I am going to take the drive back and swap it and grab a new PSU (actually three, got some needs for more half built boxes).

Thanks!

Re: Let me know if I am wrong

hummms...
    for kernels 2.4 i am thinking there is no need to pass stuff to LILO/GRUB to get the UDMA stuff working, just hdparm. but it sounds like it is not even getting to that point. i poped in a new drive not long ago w/o any issues, besides my UDMA100 controller whcih does not work right.

/me has done PET on setting up ATA100...

DOESN'T ANYONE EVER READ THE FSCKING PETs ??

Tell me why should I bother writting another one ?

How ever one should be able to run on the ATA100 controller without resorting to that PET, only recompile the kernel with the correct modules loaded.

Good Guru

dudes -- I do not have a ATA100 controller, just the actual hard drive!! I am having problems after a fresh install. After about 3 days I noticed the system getting really unstable, locking up whilst I am at work and soforth. Now, I was asking if it may be me, the PSU, or the drive itself.

Lovechild -- you need a beer You seem stressed
    /dev/idiot/schotty/beer_supply/import > /mnt/lovechild/incoming/beer/

Good Guru

Probably because your drive doesn't skill back to ATA66 well.. Why not get ATA66 drives to ensure compartibility ??

Kind Mastermind

dudes -- I do not have a ATA100 controller, just the actual hard drive!! *I am having problems after a fresh install. *After *about 3 days I noticed the system getting really unstable, locking up whilst I am at work and soforth. * Now, I was asking if it may be me, the PSU, or the drive itself.

Lovechild -- you need a beer *You seem stressed
    I think that ATA100 controllers can control ATA66 drives, but ATA66 controllers can't control ATA100 drives very well. Don't quote me, but I think you will need to buy a new ATA100 controller card.

Good Guru

Well, I did need to replace the PSU, so once that is completed (I bought a few last night) Ill know for sure.

It was my understanding that the drives' firmware could talk at all supported speeds to the controller, providing that the controller was capable of that speed. Then again, I am not like Kenshi -- a god amongst gods (had to make the plug)

Either way, I have the room for a PCI ATA controller. I may as well go RAID too since the drives are friggin cheap. Paid 129.99 for a 40GB. I am debating picking a few more up.

If shit still is hitting the fan and spraying all over the place Ill go and buy one. Whats the worst thing -- have to get a different drive? Oooh, I still have my reciept.

thanks for the help guys!!

Lovechild -- you need a beer You seem stressed
    /me consumes beer..

Atop of the week I've had..... AHHH I needed that SO bad.

Good Guru

Dont feel alone -- my week blew big chunks. Less money, drank less beer, all of my dates needed cancellation due to the pieces of shit I call managment.........

Always willing to help a fellow geek out

Good Guru

Well, it isnt the controller. I replaced my PSU Saturday night and had it going pretty smooth since then.

Thanks again for the help!