Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATI Rage vs. Geforce

ATI Rage vs. Geforce

I don't know shit about performance of graphics chips esp. 3D as I'm not at all into games and have no use for it.
    However, I'm gonna have to buy a card for a friend of mine tomorrow. He's got a severely limited budget and his main concern is to have a TV-out. Of course fair 3D performance would be nice, too...

So I boiled it down to an ATI Xpert with a Rage 128 Pro chip (45 Euro) and another card with a Geforce2 MX-200. Both cards have 32MB. The Geforce card costs about 20 bucks more. So my question is: Is it worth the extra dough?

Re: ATI Rage vs. Geforce

I would say so...

Although the ati card will have better DVD quality and better tv-out support, the geforce will have better 3d capability, and driver support.

Unfortunately my friend is still stuck on the dark side. But I have good hopes of converting him to join our cause. Is there any chance to get the TV-out going in linux?

Unfortunately my friend is still stuck on the dark side. But I have good hopes of converting him to join our cause. Is there any chance to get the TV-out going in linux?
    havn't tried yet.

I believe some of the Radeon all in wonder cards can do that.. gatos.sourceforge.net ??

Good Guru

When its all said and done, the ATI's are great cards with flaky drivers more often than not. Great 2D and pretty damn good 3D. The nVIDIA cards are great cards with great drivers made by nVIDIA, but with OK 2D and stellar 3D.

Thats the lowdown. Non gamers should be going ATI, gamers going nVIDIA when it comes to bargain bin items. The Radeon is a god card that if it werent for the flaky drivers, I would have one already. A Radeon all in wonder, that is.

What flakky drivers... my Radeon 7500 runs PERFECTLY...

And the 2D is STELLAR.. as is the 3D..

8) DRI 8)

You're comparing 2 differant classes of video card. In reality the Radeon should be competing against that Geforce 2 and the Radeon will flatten a MX in most applications.

You're comparing 2 differant classes of video card. In reality the Radeon should be competing against that Geforce 2 and the Radeon will flatten a MX in most applications.
    Actually, the Radeon 7500's and 8500's compare to Geforce 3's, or *MAYBE* Geforce2 Ti500's.

Geforce MX's are mostly a joke, a cheap way to get a geforce name... they are about as good as Intel Celeron (or DeCeleron) CPU's. Even the new Geforce4 MX cards arn't even BASED on Geforce4 technology. Instead they are a redone geforce2 MX board, with a newer name and higher price tag. Bottom line, stay away from MX from nvidia, and ditto for VE on the ATI side.

Good Guru

As a owner of Geforce 256 32 MB and ATI Radeon VE 64 MB, I would say I'm impress with driver support for Geforce.

Both in Windows and Linux, Geforce installed once and I was on my merry way.... The ATI card took about three reinstall of software from the installation CD and the video is off the monitor about an inch or so... Since I use the KVM for my stuff, others don't have this problem ( some are lower end ATI chips ) .....

But I like the TV out features in ATI though ..... Once I get it setup correctly, the TV out seems to work great as well without any need for modification and screen adjustment ...... But still, I would vote for Geforce ....