Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

hard drive for the bin?

Thread: hard drive for the bin?

Hybrid View

hard drive for the bin?

I've got a couple of hard drives that I know are on there last legs. I want to try and repair them as best I can if I can.

I though that fsck was the tool I need for telling me just how fscked the drives really are, but I would like to know the state of the pysical hard drive. I just want to know how many bad sectors etc. there are.

Any suggestions for utils I should look at?

All info would be greatfuly accepted.

Thanks

Re: hard drive for the bin?

Howdy Popcorn!!
    I always use the manufactors tools -e.g. seagate, wd, maxtor, ibm. most these guys have tools which run tests for hours - so you can tell your boss you are checking out drives in complete honesty *while* taking a nap or perhaps partaking in some nefarious activity.

Howdy Popcorn!!
    I always use the manufactors tools -e.g. seagate, *wd, maxtor, ibm. * most these guys have tools which run tests for hours - so you can tell your boss you are checking out drives in complete honesty *while* taking a nap or perhaps *partaking in some nefarious activity. *
    Moi? partake in nefarrious activities? Never *;D

Thanks pbharris, am downloading maxtors tools as I type.

Good Guru

I agree with Paul. Use the MFG's tools such as Disk Manager from Seagate. They can really do some repairs software wise such as filling up with raw data and firmware recreation and stuff like that.

There is no tools ( AFAIK of that exists ) independent from HDD MFG's that can work great. After all, the fsck is just making sure the patitial table is in good condition and the allocations and all that stuff. It won't repair the bad HDD.