Thread: trying to get the zip to work

trying to get the zip to work

hey,

i decided to bring my internal zip back from the dead. when i did an install recently of mandrake it sees the drive. in fstab its listed as
    /dev/hdd4 /mnt/zip but when i try to mount it it tells me:
    mount: special device /dev/hdd4 doesnt exist. what could be the fix? i didnt see a pet on this site nor a good one elsewhere. thanx

SD

Re: trying to get the zip to work

hey SD -
    Okay this is an IDE (aks atapi) drive and is installed, what does ls -l /dev/hdd* get ya? also, is this the right place for it and is there a 4th partition ?

hey pb. yup, its an atapi ide internal zip. ls -l /dev/hdd* gives me no such file or directory. when i set this drive up i just set a swap partition and the other partition is native. come to think of it i have 4 ide devices now.
    does that help?

Good Guru

Have you tried mounting it under /dev/hdd1 ?

just tried but it doesnt exist. >

If your drive is the slave on the secondary controller, then it is going to be /dev/hdd4 - for some reason, ZIp disks are the 4th partition...

Anyway, your problem is that /dev/hdd? doesn't exist. You can make it (I think) with mkdev (I think) or some other such tool, or you can try re-copying it, or perhaps re-installing the "/dev files" package for your distribution.

yeah the zip is the slave(/dev/hdd4) to my cdwriter on my secondary ide controller. i'll see if i can go about recreating it that way. thanxs

SD

Mentor

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/ZIP-Drive.html

i could help you better when i get home tonight , i have the same set up.

cool. maybe we can contact *each other thru email. im going to the isles rangers game at the mausoleum tonight. we need 2 points....not a trick from yashin in the 1st period again. * * > * * * * *

punks.

SD

how do you like getting rid of arnott?? *langenbruner's good and new-one-dike still has some gas left in his tank...

the moderator doesnt realize im trying to spell joe's name.
    its not a curse word. sheesh.

Mentor

cool. maybe we can contact *each other thru email. im going to the isles rangers game at the mausoleum tonight. we need 2 points....not a trick from yashin in the 1st period again. * * > * * * * *

punks.

SD

how do you like getting rid of arnott?? *langenbruner's good and new-one-dike still has some gas left in his tank...

the moderator doesnt realize im trying to spell joe's name.
    its not a curse word. *sheesh.
    Hey willie !!! sorry , man i totally forgot about hepling you , i have been so busy at work and shit to do around the house i havent had much time for the computer ( plus the world stops when the devils play!!! )

I WILL help you tonight !!!! definately!!!!

About the arnott trade, i think it was a great trade!!!! Joe newindyke for Arnott ( turn off your sensoring in your profile) joe will hustle more than arnott will he is better at face offs and is a better play maker, and as far a langenbrunner for mckay? holly crap!! that is not even a question!! have you ever seen langenbrunner play , he gives it 100% every second he is out there, mckay was getting old he was always getting hurt.

I wish lou would have picked up Brett Hull ( my favorite player)in the offseason last year but he dont want to pay anyone, i guess that why Teemu Selane is not playing for us right now!!!

Devils vs. Islanders tonight It's a huge game for both teams