Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

I want more power!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want more power!!

I want more power!!

Ok, I decided to replace my machine's heart and soul (the CPU and mobo that is). Looking for some opinions here.

Constraints are: I don't want no Intel.

I settled for an AthlonXP and I guess I'll go with a mobo with KT266A chipset unless someone has striking reasons for using something else (any experience with nForce?). I'm kinda inclined towards the ASUS A7V266-E. Good thing?

And here comes my question that could easily be answered with a web search. But I don't feel like it: Can I use SD-RAM (PC133) with this board and later replace that with DDR RAM?

cheers, demian

Re: I want more power!!

For motherboard, I highly suggest a Gigabyte 7ZX

Why not go SMP? AMD has had dual cpu support for a while now, and Tiger makes a nice mobo for it... My dual P2-450s "feel" faster in both Slack and Win2k than the 933 I have at work...

Ok... the Lovey bear says... SMP if money allows for it.

otherwise:

Soyo SY-K7V DRAGON Plus,>2000 Mhz, K7T266A, Lan, Raid&Audio, DDR
    A decent XP chip, like the XP1600 or faster
    A Silverado cooler, settle for nothing less than the best, we are talking about your CPU here !

A couple of really good ATA133 cables, the shielded rounded types, with grounding. They are the shit and well worth the extra dough !

Good DDR ram, like Crucial, at least 256 MB.

Good thermal paste, like the Artic Silver 3 or the slightly older brand 2. <<-- this is more important than most people think, good paste gives you good thermal conduction - saving chips and keeping them several degrees cooler than normally...

If courage allows it, lap your heatsink untill it's completely flat...

--- edit ---
    sorry, copy pasted the wrong Soyo mobo from my list... sorry.

The Soyo Dragon is swift... and deemed by many as a very stable motherboard for Linux. as requested it has a K7T266A chipset.

Ok... the Lovey bear says... SMP if money allows for it.
    I am thinking about that. The best would be if I could buy a dual mobo and run it with a single CPU for a few months and then get two new CPUs when money allows for it. Is that possible at all?

Soyo SY-K7V DRAGON Plus,>2000 Mhz, K7T266A, Lan, Raid&Audio,
    I don't need IDE raid
    A couple of really good ATA133 cables, the shielded rounded types, with grounding. They are the shit and well worth the extra dough !
    For what? My CD-ROM and ATAI ZIP drive? Those are the only IDE devices in my box SCSI baby!!

Good DDR ram, like Crucial, at least 256 MB.
    So using my old ram (PC133) for a while before upgrading to DDR is not an option?

Thanks all!

I don't know about that SDRAM stuff, but I would think that it supports it... check with the SOYO website.

As for the IDE cable stuff, it's a baby fetish I have, I like grounding and shielding stuff - and I found that up to 20% performance in transfer rate can be gained by doing that to the cables alone... I didn't consider you using SCSI like a clever boy... 8) SCSI 8) - nobody I know can afford SCSI

The Raid setup is optional, and KP informs me that the Linux Kernel software is much faster than the Promise "sorta" software raid these types of boards include... You don't need to use it, but every board now includes it.. almost.

I would think that you could run with SDRAM untill you can get your hands on some good DDR ram... and remember good ram makes the difference... a bad stick of cheap ram can cause all sorts of shit to happen... spend the extra few bucks for a Crucial module. !

The Raid setup is optional, and KP informs me that the Linux Kernel software is much faster than the Promise "sorta" software raid these types of boards include... You don't need to use it, but every board now includes it.. *almost.
    Hmmm. if it's optional and fully supported in linux I might think about that. Having the possiblity to set up a 150GB IDE raid for really cheap might come in handy some time...

edit:
    Damn, I just checked the price tag on the soyo board. It's the same price as the ASUS I mentioned above. You mean I get a raid controller for free * Just making sure... you're talking about this board, right?

yup... and Linuxhardware.org gave it a FINE review rating, 9.5/10 I believe...

It's very fast compared to other K7T266A chipset boards out there apparently - IMHO it's the best board out there for Linux right now.

If you go AthlonXP route, and wanna save some bucks, check out the Shuttle AK31A. I have it on my site at about $86. Nice board, 6 PCIS, DDR, ATA100, etc. Supports all the way to a 2000XP. Check it out! http://www.thenerds.net/productpage....UTTLE+COMPUTER

Kind Mastermind

DDR and SD ram are not compatible (I think Ralinx pointed this out a while ago). I think that they use different connector numbers or something. I'm not totally sure what the general differences are. If you want to use sdram and then upgrade you will need a board that has both (you will only be able to use one or the other at one time, not both ). Do a google search and I am sure you will find the answers pretty quickly.

Cheers.