Thread: color printer

color printer

I have an HP OfficeJet 710 right now, that does fine as a fax machine, fine as a copier, pretty good as a scanner, and really well as a b&w printer...the scan and print both work flawlessly in linux. What I really want, though, is a printer that I can use to print photos. Now, I don't need perfect, laser color (which I couldn't afford anyway). What I want is something around $150 (maybe up to $200) that will print decent enough photos on high quality glossy paper...but it MUST work in linux. I have friends with HP 9xxsomethings (the $150 version), and they work to my tastes with good paper. What I want to know is, do they (or some others) work equally with linux? For what its worth, I use mdk8.2, and print with cups.

cameron

Re: color printer

epson!

epson!
    which epson?

also, i would prefer usb, so that i can keep my hp oj710 plugged in as a scanner if nothing else.

Good Guru

If your HP has pass through port, you should be no problem...

I have HP 722C printer and it support was included in Red Hat 7.2 so I guess it's well supported now ( it used to be a Winprinter before ). I get decent color from that one. Check Linux printer site. They have most of the printers listed as their current support info.. I don't have a link right now but you can do google search for it ....

Epson C80-- Great color printer! Should run you right around $150 and it has USB. Also has an ethernet upgrade availible as well

lets see - i have an epson stylus photo 780 - works great - it has a USB port on it but i have not tried it.

I haven't gotten any suggestions for HP, but that's ok, plenty of people i know have them, so i can just see the photos there. As for Epson, if it comes down to the C80 and the Photo 820, does anyone see where one might be better. Epson's web page has a comparison feature, but I can't really see that the C80 gives me anything that is worth the extra fifty dollars (found them for 180 and 130 respectively). Anyone tell me why I might want the C80 instead? Remember, I already have one printer that does fine for black and white, and I'm plenty happy with it...I just hate saving pictures to a CD to take to someone else's computer to print on a decent color printer (by decent, I mean photo quality from arm's length).

thanks for the input so far.

Good Guru

I haven't gotten any suggestions for HP,
    You mean you didn't see this??

I have HP 722C printer and it support was included in Red Hat 7.2
    :

oops, sorry...ONE suggestion for HP then (or, same one twice now). my fault.

You mean you didn't see this??

: