Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Seriously chapped butt!

Thread: Seriously chapped butt!

Seriously chapped butt!

OK, here's the skinny; I've been dual-booting Linux and THAT OTHER OS for about a year now. My current box is a servicable unit, but I want to build a new one. One of the reasons I keep that OTHER OS on my box is a scanner issue. I have a large number (2000+) of family photographs that eventually will be scanned and burned to CD's. I have two scanners, a USB scanner that's made by UMAX (an ASTRA 3400) and an scsi scanner made by Sceptre (1200m, I think). The USB scanner is not and probably will never be supported in Linux. The SCSI scanner can most likely be used under Linux.

Now comes the rub. My current box has an MSI K7T motherboard. It has 6 expansion slots, but none of them are ISA, which is what the SCSI card for my scanner is. So, to boil this down, I have a Linux-capable scanner that I can't use because of a hardware problem, and a USB scanner that isn't Linux supported. Still with me? OK, I've heard that there are motherboards available that will A. support ISA cards and B. use an Athlon T-Bird processer. I've got most of the other hardware I need to build a box, but I'm going to convert my current one to a server, so I'm going to have to buy a motherboard and processer, a case and power supply and a few other odds and ends. What I'm looking for is some input on motherboards that will do what I need, and any general reccomendations about things I might want to consider doing while I'm building the new box.
    (I hope this wasn't too confusing. You ought to be looking at it from MY side- my head hurts!)

Re: Seriously chapped butt!

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...318&DEPA=1

Any of the boards on this page will support your cpu. Only a couple of them have isa slots though.

Forward thinking, I would consider buying a PCI based SCSI card. That way you dont have a ISA slot in your system that you wont be using when you outgrow your scanner.

Plus, you could always use the new card for your SCSI drives if you ever felt inclined to purchase some.

You could also look around for some boards that has SCSI on board already. Then, you dont even have to use up a PCI slot.

Re: Seriously chapped butt!

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...318&DEPA=1

Any of the boards on this page will support your cpu. Only a couple of them have isa slots though. Yeah, they're getting tougher to find

Forward thinking, I would consider buying a PCI based SCSI card. That way you dont have a ISA slot in your system that you wont be using when you outgrow your scanner. I've considered this, but I need an excuse to build a nwe box. >grin<

Plus, you could always use the new card for your SCSI drives if you ever felt inclined to purchase some.

You could also look around for some boards that has SCSI on board already. Then, you dont even have to use up a PCI slot.
    Didn't know such things existed.
    Thanks for the input. (BTW; love your sig!)