Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

IP over Power

Thread: IP over Power

IP over Power

i've seen stuff where you can do IP via power. like wall outlets. i'm wondering how expensive these are, and their linux support?

my situation is my school has ethernet ports semi randomly scattered about (ie theres one in the lunch room.... why? no one knows... but its useful for me) but they dont have them in the halls. however there is AC in the halls, so i'm thinking i could set this up, and get on the network (if i can do this i can get permission).

i'm thinking i have 1 computer that plugs into both AC and the ethernet, then it iptable's me onto the ethernet.
    then i have my laptop (no pcmcia, so this needs to have a usb or rj45 or firewire connector).

any ideas?

thanks ;D

Re: IP over Power

it does exist, it's extremely slow (slower than floppy disk file transfers) and I doubt there is linux support for it.

I looked into that a while ago, mostly to get decent internet, which they talked about a lot.. but the ethernet over power seems to be stable and I'm guessing that it's about as fast as 10mbit ethernet these days. Maybe later I can dig up some articles for ya.

Good Guru

What about HPNA ?

A fellow wi2600.org member has gotten 6Mb/sec over two power bar wrappers. He got very decent speeds over a bunch of different media (and yes the intended phone wire too). He was originally doing a research project on it. He almost got the local phone co Ameritech to get him some unused wire from his house to a friends apartment for free (ended up stealing it when the corporates caught wind). He got 4Mb/sec average across 3 miles.

Its a thought. Dont know the prices of the cards/switches/hubs anymore, but hey - worth a shot.

HPNA == over phone right?

my school has some phone where they dont have ethernet, but not much, and usually it requires a screw driver and twister pair to rj11 to use... .

i want power because we have power outlets all over, if i can get the network thru that, then i can jack in from almost anywhere.
    but thanks for the info!

Good Guru

Hey, no prob! Its just that I had never heard of HPNA until Xam (my buddy that I mentioned) had done the presentation. For all who are interested in reading the transcript and watching the video (it was up there, dunno about now) its at www.wi2600.org

Its just that the AC thing scares me. The last thing I want is the adapter to fail and sent 120 VAC thru my PCI slot!!

Well, hope you get something that works well!