Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Advice on Linux system specs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Linux system specs

Advice on Linux system specs

Hello everyone. Ok, let me put out the situation here:

I'm in the market for two systems. These systems do not need to be robust. I'm actually looking for CPU's with at least a minimum of 550mhz and at absolute most, 900mhz. I would prefer AMD, in fact I dont want anything but AMD.

So here are my questions.
    First is, anyone know of a good place with good prices that is reliable.

Second is, motherboard type. What type of motherboard should I get? I dont need anything fancy. What about the motherboardss with integrated video and LAN.

Basically, these little rigs are going to be on my LAN so I can fiddle around and try all sorts of fun stuff. ;D

So basically, I need some input on where to find a cheap good CPU and a motherboard.

Thanks everyone.

Re: Advice on Linux system specs

Charles D. Ward posted a link to this awesome place called CarbonLinux - might want to check that out

Kind Mastermind

Charles D. Ward posted a link to this awesome place called CarbonLinux - might want to check that out
    Holy crap, Batman! They have some great prices! Me likes!

Hello everyone. Ok, let me put out the situation here:

I'm in the market for two systems. These systems do not need to be robust. I'm actually looking for CPU's with at least a minimum of 550mhz and at absolute most, 900mhz. I would prefer AMD, in fact I dont want anything but AMD.

So here are my questions.
    First is, anyone know of a good place with good prices that is reliable.

Second is, motherboard type. What type of motherboard should I get? I dont need anything fancy. What about the motherboardss with integrated video and LAN.

Basically, these little rigs are going to be on my LAN so I can fiddle around and try all sorts of fun stuff. ;D

So basically, I need some input on where to find a cheap good CPU and a motherboard.

Thanks everyone.
    Head over to newegg.com. You can get a duron 950 for like $30 I think., and a system board to go with it for $80 or so, maybe a bit more for integrated stuff. Integrated stuff can get kinda scary with Linux, but most is ok. I've got one with a realtek built in nic, and a SIS video I think, works ok, but it's a headless box.

Anyway, I like newegg for prices, and user feedback.

Yes, I do like newegg. Pretty much, just need some advice on a board. As I said before, the box is just for learning purposes so I do not need anything fancy.

So if anyone can recommend a mobo and video card, that would be great.

Hard to believe i can buy a 900mhz duron for $31 and a K6-2 550mhz chip for $38+...seems odd.

Anyways, thanks for the upate and looking forward to suggestions.

OH YES! One last question. I need a small, max about 15gig drive. Would like between 10-12...any ideas on where to locate a small drive that size? thanks everyone.

The Tarball

Good Guru

You didn't look deep enough, did you??

http://www.linuxjunior.org/cgi-bin/Y...num=1020072480

For the HDD, get the biggest you can afford ... Once you get your Linux system up and running, you will find fun with lots of goodies such as MP3 or WAV recording and downloading stuff ...

Thanks everyone for your replies. Just another question.

I've found a place where I can get a 950 Duron CPU, with a 300W case and a Gigabyte 7DX+ (also has a cooling fan) for $140 includding shipping. Only thing i need to add is a HD, memory, video card, sound and NIC.

Here is my question:
    There is a second option for this system. This includes the same CPU and case, however, the motherboard is different. The motherboard is a PCCHIPS 810 board with integrated sound, video and LAN. The price on this system is $142. All you need to add is HD and memory.

Now, i'm not real familiar with integrated video,land and sound.

Can anyone comment on integrated video, sound and LAN? Is it something thats worth getting to save money, OR is it something to stay away from.

Thanks everyone. looking forward to your replies.

The TarBall

Good Guru

Can anyone comment on integrated video, sound and LAN? Is it something thats worth getting to save money, OR is it something to stay away from.
    Personally I don't like 810 based boards. why? They make use of shared memory. The video will get a piece of your RAM so for example if you put in 128 MB of RAM, then your video will occupy 16 MB and you are left with 112 MB of real RAM for your system. Is it a very bad thing especially with those memory prices? It seems not but then again your system OS will need to keep track of it and waste a lot of CPU cycles doing it instead of dedicated video chip is doig it ....

For the integrated stuff. For ME, I will never get integrated video, period. Now a days, integrated sound and LAN is almost inevitable but I see it as tolerable. You don't go 100 MB to 1000 GB within a few years ( at least not yet ). And most people don't mind about those crappy sounds from your computers ( or may be it's just me ). So if I have SBLive and 100 MB NIC on board, I belive I'm good to go for the rest of the system life. BUT video is a lot different. You certainly want to upgrade. And believe it or not, video speed will make your system runs a lot faster ( or it seems that way ). I was more than happy with my 8 MB ATI AGP cards but when I upgraded to GeForce 256, I was so amazed and saw what I've been missing ... So now with all those GeForce 4 and ATI 8500s, I'm sure an upgrade is in the way ..... Some say you can disable your on board any time and I found it to be not really true. It will still interfere with your system setting ( since most of today's on board stuff are BIOS disable with software rather than jummper hardware disabled. Man! I miss those days. )

So my advise is, OK for LAN and Sound on board. BUT a big NO NO for onboard Video.

Kind Mastermind

Thanks everyone for your replies. Just another question.

I've found a place where I can get a 950 Duron CPU, with a 300W case and a Gigabyte 7DX+ (also has a cooling fan) for $140 includding shipping. Only thing i need to add is a HD, memory, video card, sound and NIC.

Here is my question:
    There is a second option for this system. This includes the same CPU and case, however, the motherboard is different. The motherboard is a PCCHIPS 810 board with integrated sound, video and LAN. The price on this system is $142. All you need to add is HD and memory.

Thanks everyone. looking forward to your replies.

The TarBall

It really depends on which video/sound/LAN chips are integrated. Some integrated chips are well supported, some plain suck. It also depends on what you really plan to do with the computer.

Having looked at the motherboard, I would caution against buying it. There is very little room for growth. There are only two PCI slots and two dimm slots. Plus, looking on the website, they don't give much info. Just my two cents, mind you. Obviously, it will be more expensive to buy the seperate components for video/sound/LAN, but at least you can tailor it to your specs, not someone elses.

Thanks guys. Now I have some more info so I can make my decision.

After what I've read, i'm definetly going to stay away from integrated video.

So, I think im going to buy the system that comes with the Gigabyte GA-7DX+ board. Here are some specs:

Socket A for AMD Athlon™/AMD Athlon™ XP/Duron™ 200/266MHz FSB processors
    3 DDR DIMMs support up to 3GB of PC1600 / PC2100 DDR memory
    Supports AGP 4X, AMR slots and 4 USB ports
    Supports UDMA ATA 100/66 IDE devices
    Provides AC97 audio
    Supports WOL, WOR, USB wakeup, ACPI and STR
    Supports DualBIOS™, EasyTune III™ and @BIOS™
    Multiplier settings; Multi-FSB, CPU, DDR voltage settings by BIOS

What im thinking is I can get a 900mhz Duron CPU and then just a basic AGP card. Then, when I want to down the road, I can buy a 1800+ cpu for cheap.

Any feedback on this?

Thanks everyone. I do appreciate your help.

The TarBall