Thread: Installing Debian via network

Mentor

Installing Debian via network

I am installing Potato and have got the base packages tarball sitting on my other PC. I want to get it through the network but when I try and select network it asks for an http address. How can I set it up to access either my Linux or Windows partition. I have got the NIC set up, and can ping each PC from the other. But just cant get it to select my hard drive.

Re: Installing Debian via network

probably not the best solution but u could install a temporary webserver on the other pc and put the files in the home dir of the webserver. then when the debian installer asks u for a http address u can just type http://192.168.0.2 (or whatever the ip is)

Mentor

I did that and it didn't work. It tells me something about not recieving HTTP OK, and then 404 not found, or the other way round. At least I learnt a bit from this. But I would still like to make it work.

Mentor

Any other way to do this. My web server failed. And I don't understand why. I can access it from the server. Each PC can ping the other. And it still refuses to work. Don't make me put the other HD in that has the install files on it. Becuase that would be a pain in the ass.

Mentor

I moved the HD to get it installed and now I need to have access to the HD on this PC from the other. I only have a base debian install on the other system so how can I access the hard drives on each PC? The only way I know to do this is through samba and I don't have it installed so what can I do? I can't put anything extra on the other PC at the moment. Any help will be most appreciated

I'm not sure if this will help, but why not just do a network install from a fast, local ftp server? Universities are usually good

Mentor

Umm, how exactly do I do this? And why can't I just use this PC as the FTP server? How can I set up an FTP server is what I am asking I guess?

Well, you could just set up an FTP server, and then put in the IP of that computer as the FTP source to get stuff from, but I don't really see the point.

All I know is that I downloaded everything just fine from one of the official mirrors listed on debian.org, and the install was smooth as a baby's bottom

Mentor

It has no modem which is why I didn't do that in the first place.