Thread: StarOffice 6 Beta

Kind Mastermind

StarOffice 6 Beta

Has anyone downloaded it yet? Is it worth downloading now, or would you recommend downloading it once it hits gold status? What are some of the bigger advances (other than getting rid of the desktop takeover and the division of the program into seperate programs)?

I am thinking about downloading it, but don't want to spend several days (week and a half or so, actually, since I will need to get the windows and the linux versions) downloading something that I might replace in a few months.

Is it better than 5.2? Does it have an improved website design capability (call me crazy, but I enjoy building basic themed websites with 5.1/2)?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Re: StarOffice 6 Beta

I like 6.0 a lot better. I can't say about the html editor, but the
    rest of it rocks much better after losing the "desktop" interface.

IMHO,
    ~Guitarlynn

Mentor

I tried StarOffice 6.0 Beta and found it very unstable. It kept hanging up on my Debian system all the time.
    However, I downloaded the latest build of OpenOffice http://www.openoffice.org and found it much more stable. Have not had any hangups yet. It has a good looking website designer module, but haven't really tested yet.

Kind Mastermind

Thanks, Guitarlynn and Cloverm, I will probably wait then. I have read several reviews that say it is rockin', so I guess I'll wait until the stable/gold edition comes out. Probably a lot safer that way, for me anyway.

Might not be a bad idea, but I haven't found any bugs in the beta myself. It should be safe.

~Guitarlynn

Don't download it... I got it but its HECK of slow on a 500mhz box.... ANd the editor crashes when I open some word docs...

Good Guru

What are some of the bigger advances (other than getting rid of the desktop takeover and the division of the program into seperate programs)?
    It can read and write M$ Office documents including Office XP.

I like 6 a lot, much more then 5.x, especially since it can save in a number of M$ formats. I have run into no bugs yet, but I've only used Star Writer however, and not the Calc or Presentation programs. Still prefer abiword, since SO 6 takes a week to open on my comp.

new openoffice build came out (openoffice = staroffice without some closed source stuff, but just as good)

i think it's build 641 now, and i haven't fully tested it yet, but it does start faster than the last openoffice build