Thread: VMWare?

VMWare?

Anyone know much about it....someone was just telling me I should look into it, and I went to the site and frankly I don't trust those proggy's. I know their history and they plain just aren't reliable. I don't know, what do you guys think?

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

JimH

Re: VMWare?

From what I understand it works pretty well. I believe they have a trial version you can download. Definitely a try, before you buy.

Jim H

I used VMWare for a while. I had the last version before 3.0. Our system is an AMD 450Mhz with 384M RAM, 30G HD, CD-R, DVD, ATI Rage Fury Pro (32M VRAM), no USB devices.....

We installed VMWare trial version. We set up a VM and installed Win98se on it without a hitch. When we ran Windows, it was a little slow, but smooth. We installed a couple of programs we needed for classes (the original reason for installing Windows at all) and they ran fine. In fact, if you have the cash, and a little space for Windows, I would suggest it for anyone that wants to "just run this one thing real quick" without having to reboot into the disgusting alternative. It's also great for development... If you run a program in Windows through a VM and Windows crashes, all you do is click on the virtual reboot button.. It's a great little program, but it's pretty pricey. We can get it way cheaper, because we are College students, and are seriously considering ordering the 3.0 version. Just some thoughts from someone who has tried it.

gaxprels

Interesting, I might have to give it a try. I would never be willing to pay that cost for it unless of course I did have that kinda money just laying around! :-/

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

well i confess, i was the one that told Aragon about VMWare.......

My trial has just about run out and i have a 2 sided argument about it. It is a great idea and is very usefull for those win progies that you really need and won't wine.

I tried to install win 98 but it was far to abysmal in terms of speed, with a duron 800 and 64mb of ram allocated to it.
    So i tried 95 and it works fine, except for msn.com not liking ie3......
    My problems came when booting. I always got a error saying windows couldn't initilize and i needed to reboot my computer. Thats annoying having to start it twice every time i want to run it but i found that if i crashed windows instead of shutting it down, i didn't get the problem . :P

My only other grudge is the 800x600 resolution..... I can't even handle 1024x768 but i guess thats what you get when you run something in a VM.

Next, when my VMWare licence runs out im gonna try win4lin (http://www.netraverse.com/) its only 1/2 the price of VMWare and looks interesting. The only thing that might be bad about it is it has to upgrade your kernel, which im not too sure about.
    Ohwell.

Just my $0.02 worth

Alastair
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

well i confess, i was the one that told Aragon about VMWare.......

My trial has just about run out and i have a 2 sided argument about it. It is a great idea and is very usefull for those win progies that you really need and won't wine.

I tried to install win 98 but it was far to abysmal in terms of speed, with a duron 800 and 64mb of ram allocated to it.
    So i tried 95 and it works fine, except for msn.com not liking ie3......
    My problems came when booting. I always got a error saying windows couldn't initilize and i needed to reboot my computer. Thats annoying having to start it twice every time i want to run it but i found that if i crashed windows instead of shutting it down, i didn't get the problem . :P

My only other grudge is the 800x600 resolution..... I can't even handle 1024x768 but i guess thats what you get when you run something in a VM.

Next, when my VMWare licence runs out im gonna try win4lin (http://www.netraverse.com/) its only 1/2 the price of VMWare and looks interesting. The only thing that might be bad about it is it has to upgrade your kernel, which im not too sure about.
    Ohwell.

Just my $0.02 worth

Alastair
    I thought you would have known Win95 would do that. My windows box (when I had one) was Win95 and it did that normally, (not through a VM!) LOL

If you need to change the resolution of the guest OS, you have to first change the resolution of the host OS. I had problems because some of the software we wanted to install required 256 color mode and we haven't been able to set our ATI card to anything less than 16bit mode. Oh, well. Everything can't work perfectly.

gaxprels