Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: debian

Hybrid View

debian

I think I give up on redhat for my 133 file/web server so I'm switching to debian. I don't know what version to get. I have a cable connection so I was just going to get the disks from ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/

Theres stable, unstable, testing, woody, potato and debian2.2rc4. Now what version should I get. I want to have everything fairly up2date with the newest apache, mysql and samba.

Re: debian

woody! it is debian unstable - but it is not really unstable at all.

so is 2.2rc4 woody then? or is woody the unstable version of 2.2rc4. AHH someone explain how it works

Theres stable, unstable, testing, woody, potato and debian2.2rc4. Now what version should I get. I want to have everything fairly up2date with the newest apache, mysql and samba.
    pbharris is wrong: stable is potato, testing is woody, and unstable is sid. (if you look closely, stable, testing, and unstable are symlinks to potato, woody, and sid (or is it the other way around? I forget).)

I do agree with pbharris on one thing, though: you want woody. I'm not entirely sure what the differences are between testing and unstable, but I've been using testing for a while and I've had no problems with it, it's absolutely great.

I honestly don't know why anybody would use potato. It has decrepit versions of software (mutt 1.2? vim 5.8? Those are ancient!). Woody has good versions of software (mutt 1.3.23, vim 6.0.93, etc. very new stuff), and it is perfectly usable and stable.

As for the actual version of Debian, I'm not sure which name is which version, but my login prompt claims that I'm using "Debian 3.0 testing/unstable", so there you go.

Good Luck!

i always screw them up.... testing stable unstable blah blah blah

Associate

Debian 2.2r4 is the latest release of Potato, aka Stable. One real good reason for running Stable is on server machines where you're more concerned about a extremely stable, working system than the latest whiz-bang version of kde.

Debian 2.2r4 is the latest release of Potato, aka Stable. One real good reason for running Stable is on server machines where you're more concerned about a extremely stable, working system than the latest whiz-bang version of kde.
    But what if you want the latest whiz-band version of apache? or postfix? and what if the woody versions run perfectly, or at least as well as the potato versions? Then there's no reason not to run woody

Good Guru

One real good reason for running Stable is on server machines where you're more concerned about a extremely stable, working system than the latest whiz-bang version of kde.
    Absolutely agree. I run Debian stable on one of my server and my gateway machine. Why?? I don't need the latest version of software on those machines. All I need is the functionality of the software no matter what version they are.

But what if you want the latest whiz-band version of apache? or postfix?
    You can selectively install via apt-get. I have the latest version of SAMBA ( from testing brunch ) on my server box because I need Win2K to work with it. But the rest are stable.

what if the woody versions run perfectly, or at least as well as the potato versions? Then there's no reason not to run woody
    Until it borked your whole system ?? It's not something unheard of ( just ask Lovechild ). There are those situration where you need the latest and greatest but theare are also those siturations where you need absolute guaranty of things will work the way they are supposed to. Debian provide that with different brunches. This is also where other distro users don't get about the great Debian provide.

haven't installed debian yet but is the command dpkg -i whatever.deb to install local debian packages?

Believe me, Debian testing can screw up your system, especially if you do dist-upgrades. If you want to switch to testing to upgrade individual packages, that usually won't screw up the whole system. But if you don't think it can mess you up, then why am I using FreeBSD now?