Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Making your login screen pretty?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making your login screen pretty?

Making your login screen pretty?

How do I make the login screen pretty? *I am using debian and it has the awful X login screen and I want to spruce it up with a background and a different color scheme or something. *

Re: Making your login screen pretty?

Hi,
    You can use the gdmconfig tool, it lets you set your own background for the login screen.
    Cheers
    LiNuts

How do I make the login screen pretty? I am using debian and it has the awful X login screen and I want to spruce it up with a background and a different color scheme or something.
    Does it have to be pretty? How often do you see it?

I prefer the text login myself.

If you use xdm this article might be interesting

I would do what LiNuts recommended, also what I did was poke around /etc/X11/gdm/ and see what stuff I could toggle and tweak. That linux journal article that demian mentioned was real handy too. I remember reading it when it came out. Incase your curious here is an old screenshot of my gdm. (Incase your blind, thats a pink floyd cover)

http://people.redhat.com/tcallawa/notbyme/gdm.jpg

I still use runlevel 2 (in debian) runlevel 3 (in red hat), just did the gdm thing "just because."

Cafeole -
    holy crap that is cool! that is the login for GDM ? I thought i have a pretty loggin screen....

BTW - Welcome to LinuxJunior in case anyone has not said that already

Thanks for all the info guys!!

I looked at the info for the xdm (Thanks demian !) But, it looked too involved so I changed my sources.list back to testing and just broke down and removed xdm and installed kdm (kdm in unstable seems to be broke)

I would do what LiNuts recommended, also what I did was poke around /etc/X11/gdm/ and see what stuff I could toggle and tweak. That linux journal article that demian mentioned was real handy too. I remember reading it when it came out. Incase your curious here is an old screenshot of my gdm. (Incase your blind, thats a pink floyd cover)

http://people.redhat.com/tcallawa/notbyme/gdm.jpg

I still use runlevel 2 (in debian) runlevel 3 (in red hat), just did the gdm thing "just because."
    Your login screen that is great but I have questions about what the app that is running along the left side is and how you got it to run that before logging in? Also at the bottom is a decode of an mp3 same goes for that. I thought I was not in the system until I logged in?

Ras

Good Guru

Cafeole -
    holy crap that is cool! *that is the login for GDM ? *I thought i have a pretty loggin screen...
    OH yeah.. That was cool... Can you post the pic or tell us where you downloaded it?

TIA...

And I can't find the gdmconfig tool.... I will try manually and see what happens...

<edited>Dah !! Mine is xdm... :</edited>

OH yeah.. That was cool... Can you post the pic or tell us where you downloaded it?

TIA...

And I can't find the gdmconfig tool.... I will try manually and see what happens...

<edited>Dah !! Mine is xdm... :</edited>
    Just install gdm or kdm, they are much easier to setup as a theme! Setting xdm is too much work ;D

kdm in unstable has had some issues lately though.