Thread: Vim vs Gvim

Vim vs Gvim

Been playing with Gvim. *(yes, I have been playing with a lot of stuff. *Trying out everything, picking the apps that I like best).

My impressions are that it is a nice GUI interface, but it seems kinda to get in the way of editing if you use it. *Or is it just that I have used Vim and Vi for so long? *It is also much, much bigger.

What (if any) are your feelings about it? *I am rather thinking I'll dump it and stick with Vim. *Or am I being to hasty and missing some cool feature only available in Gvim?

Or should I just go away and quit starting these weird topics?

;D

Re: Vim vs Gvim

in use gvim all for code stuff and vim in a terminal. *typically if it is a big file i use gvim and vim at command line for small stuff. *i know if gvim has other stuff but i have never used them

ya know - have wondered if others use gvim or just vim myself.

I use both. When in X - gvim (programming, vhdl, html and latex), when in text mode - vim (scripts, config files, html). I haven't noticed any difference except for menus in gvim, which are handy as I'm not yet a vim power user.
    gvim is slightly slower to load, but it's far from being annoying. I love its look&feel.

What "other stuff" does gvim have ?

i cant stand gvim. i dont like vim but even the gtk version of elvis is bad too (elvis is another vi clone)

i like vi cause i can just edit a file and quit and be done, no big over head like emacs. simplicty, adding a gui takes that away, it needs a window and such. and also i never open a file in vi but launching vi first then picking the file, i always do vi filename so i would be quiting often not leaving it open and changing files. the gui takes away too much.

i cant stand gvim. i dont like vim but even the gtk version of elvis is bad too (elvis is another vi clone)

i like vi cause i can just edit a file and quit and be done, no big over head like emacs. simplicty, adding a gui takes that away, it needs a window and such. and also i never open a file in vi but launching vi first then picking the file, i always do vi filename so i would be quiting often not leaving it open and changing files. the gui takes away too much.
    Yeah, that is kind of what I mean.

What don't you like about Vim?