Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Success!! Serial modem configuration in SimplyMEPIS (long)

Thread: Success!! Serial modem configuration in SimplyMEPIS (long)

Associate

Success!! Serial modem configuration in SimplyMEPIS (long)

Ever since I installed Linux I've had a nagging problem with my 56k serial modem. I could connect to my ISP but my throughput was horrible and I could not log into sites like Yahoo and PayPal. Also, at times the modem would stop completely; not disconnect, just stop transmitting and receiving. I figured out the problem last night. First, a quick rundown on hardware:

Old HP PII 350 box with dual hard drives and fluxbox as a WM. 56k dialup connection with a local ISP. I thought the factory serial port was slowing things down so I installed a PCI Serial port card with 16950 UART support. This didn't seem to help at all so I did a little digging and came up with a solution.

First, configure the serial port for higher speed communication:
    At a terminal prompt type:

setserial /dev/ttyS2 uart 16950 port 0xfcc0 irq 2 baud_base 921600 spd_vhi skip_test

Replace the port, baud_base, irq, and uart values for your port.
    You will have to place these settings in an initialization script if you want them to stick for every boot.

Next, find the options file for ppp. Mine was at:

/etc/ppp/options

Open it in a text editor and uncomment (remove the #) the settings for mru and mtu. Mine were both inactive as a default.

I used:
    mru 542
    mtu 152

I connected with KPPP and bingo, I could log into every site and consistently download at a stable rate. I'm planning on playing with the mru and mtu values to gain top performance. I'm a happy camper now!

:w00t:

Way.
    To.
    Go!!

:badger:

Associate

Re: Success!! Serial modem configuration in SimplyMEPIS (lon

Thanks!

Advisor
    these are also useful tips for anyone that ever wants to use a serial terminal on a box for installs and the like.

The default speed of a serial connection to a sun box... 9600 baud, *yuck*

dial-up is just so slow that you wonder if it is worth the effort
    My Website:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Website Uptime:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Server Specs: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Ubuntu 9.10
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 9800GTX+

Associate

Re: Success!! Serial modem configuration in SimplyMEPIS (lon

I can understand that reasoning. When I'm at home I'm just checking email and doing a little light surfing...nothing too taxing. On a more emotional level, I like the feeling I get when I solve a problem. Who knows, maybe someone else can use the same techniques to get online as well.