Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Can't get Corel Linux to install
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't get Corel Linux to install

Can't get Corel Linux to install

Just bought a Corel distribution at the local mega-mart, yesterday, and I can't even get it to get through the installation procedure. *I have booted from the provided CD and floppy, with the same results. *It will start the installation process, I will get a couple messages that it is preparing to install. Then it will say 'detecting hardware', and then I will just get garbage on the screen. *I will then have to reboot. *It is supposed to be a menu-driven installation, but I never get to the first menu.

FWIW, system is AMD 1700 on Epox 8KHA+ mobo with 256MB memory, and AOpen GeForce2 MX400 vga card. *The HD has 2-20GB partitions, with the second completely empty. *I normally run Win2K, but have been wanting to change OS's for some time.

Thanks,

Mentor

Re:  Can't get Corel Linux to install

Welcome to the board!

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I know that the Corel Linux is not the best distro by far. If you are just starting to learn Linux I would rather recommend Mandrake or RedHat. You would have more success with one of these. Both of them can be downloaded for free if you have high speed Internet and a CD burner. Let us know if you need help with downloading an burning the CDs.
    If you can't burn your own, somebody here will be happy to hook you up with one.

I do have a burner and cable modem. Think I will try to return this and get another distribution. It was on fire sale is the only reason I bought it.

Thanks,

Mentor

Re: *Can't get Corel Linux to install

forget about corel, download slackware at www.slackware.com you wont be sorry.

I will check it out, Bob. Thanks

Don't listen to the slackware monkeys. Get a real distro like Debian. www.debian.org

8) Debian 8)

apt-get it today. ;D

Well, my Corel is a Debian derivitive. Do I really want to try it???

Okay...Over the last couple of years, I have downloaded and tried to install a couple of distro's which I had downloaded off the net, but have never had any luck getting them to install.

A friend gave me a copy of RedHat 6.0 a while back, and it totally trashed a hard drive. I wasn't even able to fdisk it afterwards.

I don't think I'm stupid but I am having a hard time getting started with linux. It doesn't matter to me which distro that I have, just as long as I can get it installed and running. Then I can start using it and learning.

Yes, I am a product of the MS generation and having a hard time moving over to what I hope is a longterm solution to my computing needs.

I went to the Debian site, and find it very confusing as to what I need to download. There are numerous files, and I need someone to point me to a stating point.

Thanks guys,

Hello,
    I agree about the corel, it is a pretty rough distro from what I ahve heard. For a simpler to setup debain based distro I would go with libranet. Slakware is great but it is not really for the new person... unless ya want to know most of the intracies of the linux system.

Associate

I am an advocate of Debian. I don't think it is the best distro for a newbie to start with. I would suggest trying either Redhat or Mandrake to get your feet wet. After you gain some experience with linux you then may want to try another distro.

For Redhat go : ftp://ftp.cse.buffalo.edu/pub/Linux/...2-en/iso/i386/

You will need disk 1 and disk 2, (enigma-i386-disc1.iso and enigma-i386-disc2.iso)

For Mandrake go : ftp://ftp-linux.cc.gatech.edu/pub/li.../mandrake/iso/

You will need (Mandrake81-cd1-inst.i586.iso and Mandrake81-cd2-ext.i586.iso)

Have fun!!

Regards,
    Rod