Thread: EEK AC97 SOUND OH NO

Mojo

EEK AC97 SOUND OH NO

Ill make this short - new mobo - AC97 sound chip - wierd things happenign in redhat 7.1

Basically its in gnome (dunno about kde i dont use it - too much like windows)

In the control centre - Multimedia - Sound

Sound Server is OFF
    Sound schemes OFF

ARGH BUT I STILL HEAR THEM!!

And they are sorta poppy and crackly - (pop before you get the messed up sound) - which is wierd because XMMS plays music fine (even if XMMS is acting funny like not letting me drag it more than 3cm across screen before it freezes...

So im assuming i have an incompatibilty problem.

Any advice/suggestions are greatly accepted...

cheers, Your Pal Mojo

JimH

Re: EEK AC97 SOUND OH NO

I have seen quite a few people with issues with AC97 sound.

What motherboard?
    What sound module is being loaded? You can view all the modules that are loaded with: /sbin/lsmod

A couple things to try:

Is your system up to date with all currently available errata?
    If not update your system, run sndconfig again (you must be root user), then log in as your regular user and see if that helps any.

Jim H

I wouldn't totally count out gnome either, it screws up all the time with my sound too! :-/

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

Blueherring

Is this an i810? I've had all sorts of fun with this thing. :P What kernel are you running? There are a bunch of bad bugs in the kernel for the i810 audio drivers until 2.4.9 (I think). Best not to run a sound server. I recommend you upgrade to the latest kernel for your distro. Also check to make sure XMMS is using the straight OSS output and not the server. It would always freeze on my system when I tried it with aRTs.

Many programs I have would not run with sound because they detected the buggy drivers. However I've recently upgraded my kernel to 2.4.8 (my distro backports a lot) and haven't had any sound problems since (time will tell best of course.)

Good luck.

Is this an i810? I've had all sorts of fun with this thing. :P What kernel are you running? There are a bunch of bad bugs in the kernel for the i810 audio drivers until 2.4.9 (I think). Best not to run a sound server. I recommend you upgrade to the latest kernel for your distro. Also check to make sure XMMS is using the straight OSS output and not the server. It would always freeze on my system when I tried it with aRTs.

Many programs I have would not run with sound because they detected the buggy drivers. However I've recently upgraded my kernel to 2.4.8 (my distro backports a lot) and haven't had any sound problems since (time will tell best of course.)

Good luck.
    Are you my clone? You must be my clone? Exact setup..

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.