Thread: Automount with gnome

Good Guru

Automount with gnome

Okay all here is my plight. *I got a mp3 player that uses usb. *It mounts on /dev/sda4 *into the */mnt/pocketzip40.0 directory. *KDE would autodetect it as I plugged it it and mount it. *Gnome will not auto mount it. *How the hell do I configure that in gnome? *Its listed in my /etc/fstab file as :
    Code:
    LABEL=/ * * * * * * * * / * * * * * * * * * * * ext3 * *defaults * * * *1 1
    LABEL=/boot * * * * * * /boot * * * * * * * * * ext3 * *defaults * * * *1 2
    none * * * * * * * * * */dev/pts * * * * * * * *devpts *gid=5,mode=620 *0 0
    none * * * * * * * * * */proc * * * * * * * * * proc * *defaults * * * *0 0
    none * * * * * * * * * */dev/shm * * * * * * * *tmpfs * defaults * * * *0 0
    /dev/hda5 * * * * * * * swap * * * * * * * * * *swap * *defaults * * * *0 0
    /dev/cdrom1 * * * * * * /mnt/cdrom1 * * * * * * iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
    /dev/hdb * * * * * * * */mnt/ls120.0 * * * * * *auto * *noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
    /dev/fd0 * * * * * * * */mnt/floppy * * * * * * auto * *noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
    /dev/cdrom * * * * * * */mnt/cdrom * * * * * * *iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
    /dev/sda4 * * * * * * * /mnt/pocketzip40.0 * * *auto * *noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
    What is it I am missing ?!?!?! *

Re: Automount with gnome

hi schotty,
    would not replacing the noauto with auto do the trick?

Advisor

hi schotty,
    would not replacing the noauto with auto do the trick? *
    It wouldn't the auto means it will be tried mounted during boot, if it can, noauto prevents it from that. It has nothing to do with the abillety to be mounted on the fly.

Good Guru

See, it works fine in KDE but not in gnome. I tried the automount app and got it to kinda work out. But the problem is now that I have to symlink to that mountpoint, access it, then the icon appears on my desktop. Unmounting it means going to the command line anyway. thats what I am trying to avoid. I suppose if worse comes to worse, I may need to bust out a can of programming talent and write up something

Good Guru

Come on, somebodys gotta know this one

Mentor

try adding the "ro" option to it.
    Maybe it's trying to mount it read write and the device doesnot support that.

Woth a shot right?

Maybe take out the kudzu, too??

Good Guru

See thats the weird part. I know that KDE does it right. I dont want to use KDE cuz it sucks -- for me. Gnome is cleaner in my opinion and I dont have to sit for hours like in afterstep and blackbox to get a config file thats usable. If it works in KDE it should work in at least Gnome, right?

The device is in essence a 40MB floppy drive that happens to play mp3, ogg vorbis, windows media, and a few others. Now, in KDE, I plug it in and turn it on and it makes an icon and I can start loading it up with tunes or files. In Gnome I gotta go to the CLI and mount and unmount the directory. Once it is mounted it works.

Wait -- thinking............................. what if I write a bash script that mounts and unmounts it? Technically I should be able to do that right? Maybe KDE is doing something similar.

I am gonna try that and see if it helps.

what if I write a bash script that mounts and unmounts it?
    That would just be silly, because the mounting is only one command, and so is the unmounting. You'd be better of to just make an alias.

I'm sure you can configure gnome to have buttons on the taskbar that perform shell commands like "mount blah blah" and "umount blah blah", though.

Good Guru

well, i kinda got it working. At first I wasnt too happy, but now I am getting down and dirty doin some programmin!

Feztaa -- Not silly. Using simple logic I can find out if the mountpoint is latched in a mount. If it is unmount it. Otherwise mount it. Granted that makes me do a click to nmake the mount and another to unmount when done. But there is a way, I am sure to make a background process out of it or something. That really isnt my problem -- the security problem is. I really dont know if there are any gaping holes to be exploted anywhere in here.

Thanks for the ideas everybody. Whether ya realized it, It was VERY helpful. Sometimes saying "Wild Turkey" will make me think of a DMS100 switch