Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mutt

Re: Mutt

Well, I'm not entirely clear how you are set up, but this is what I've got running:

- postfix. It's configured as an open relay (so I can spoof my mails to be from my real address, instead of my fake local address), but it's completely firewalled off from the internet, so I'm the only one that can use it (so don't yell at me for running an open relay )
    - fetchmail. It grabs the mail from my 3 pop3 accounts and hands them off to postfix, which gives them to me.
    - procmail. It filters all my mailing lists into appropriate folders. Way better than having a bunch of crap mixed together in my inbox
    - mutt. it's pretty damn cool, if I say so myself. I have it configured to automatically rotate my mail as I read it, instead of pine's silly method of saving all to one folder then rotating it at the end of each mongth. blegh

I used to like pine, but then I tried mutt. If you ask me, the configurability of mutt is what I've come to expect from unix-like systems. Pine's interface and configurability reminds me of windows... so limited! I can do anything with mutt. Create any mail header, change any configuration based on who I'm sending it to, what folder I'm sending from, etc. Mutt rocks!!

: Pine :.... 8) Mutt 8)

Oh.... and vi is the only program to edit mail with, period!

well that's just too much extra crap for a mail client imho (i'm talking about the postfix, fetchmail, procmail, ...)

it accesses my pop3 account now, without using fetchmail or something similar so i'm pretty happy, but the pop_checkinterval variable doesn't work. no matter how i set it it won't automatically check for new messages but pressing shift+g to get them works

and i agree that mutt r0x, too bad that it's so dependent on other software

well that's just too much extra crap for a mail client imho (i'm talking about the postfix, fetchmail, procmail, ...)
    Why? Adding that stuff would be called "code bloat". Why should the mutt developers worry about implementing silly features into their MUA that are handled perfectly well by a real MTA?

it accesses my pop3 account now, without using fetchmail or something similar so i'm pretty happy, but the pop_checkinterval variable doesn't work. no matter how i set it it won't automatically check for new messages but pressing shift+g to get them works
    And that's exactly my point. Mutts pop3 implementation is obviously imperfect. If you were using mutt with fetchmail, fetchmail would check your mail however often you wanted, even when mutt is closed

and i agree that mutt r0x, too bad that it's so dependent on other software
    No; that dependance is what makes mutt great. It's not bloated like Mozilla mail that does everything in one program.

well i installed fetchmail and procmail yesterday just because mutt is too good not to use

but if mutt want's to be more widely used then they really need to implement their own way of accessing remote mail like most other mail clients do imho

well i installed fetchmail and procmail yesterday just because mutt is too good not to use
    Indeed

but if mutt want's to be more widely used then they really need to implement their own way of accessing remote mail like most other mail clients do imho
    I don't think so. Mutt doesn't need to be a behemoth combination of MUA, MTA and MDA... Mutt is a great MUA, and it is nicely complimented by a good MDA like procmail and a good MTA like postfix and fetchmail. That's the unix way of doing mail. It's tradition

I don't think so. Mutt doesn't need to be a behemoth combination of MUA, MTA and MDA... Mutt is a great MUA, and it is nicely complimented by a good MDA like procmail and a good MTA like postfix and fetchmail. That's the unix way of doing mail. It's tradition
    well in that case they shouldn't have included crappy POP3 and IMAP support at all
    but they did, and since they did they should've done a better job of it

I don't know why they did; I'm not on the dev team. Maybe it was because there were a lot of people like you who wanted it

I don't know why they did; I'm not on the dev team. Maybe it was because there were a lot of people like you who wanted it
    well then they should've done a better job of it

8) mutt + fetchmail + exim + GnuPG 8)