Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Best File Sharing Program In linux - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best File Sharing Program In linux

Re: Best File Sharing Program In linux

I'm not sure about you guys, but I'm rather partial to the Gnutella network. My favorite app for accessing it is here:

http://napshare.sourceforge.net/

It's got lots of great automation features, and is very aggressive about downloading the files you tell it to - the design goal is for dialup users to be able to give it a list of files to download, and it tries to get those files relentlessly untill you tell it to stop, so you can safely leaving it downloading overnight, without worrying that the download got cancelled or failed in some way. Works great for broadband people, too

I'm not sure about you guys, but I'm rather partial to the Gnutella network. My favorite app for accessing it is here:

It's got lots of great automation features, and is very aggressive about downloading the files you tell it to - the design goal is for dialup users to be able to give it a list of files to download, and it tries to get those files relentlessly untill you tell it to stop, so you can safely leaving it downloading overnight, without worrying that the download got cancelled or failed in some way. Works great for broadband people, too
    I've tried that one, but I didn't like it. It didn't share files very well.

I much prefer gnut

Gnut's not bad, but the interface isn't as intuitive, imho. What I mean is, it's not easy to select which files you want to download, it's much easier to just download them all and then delete the ones you don't want -- which is a waste of bandwidth, especially for dialuppers. Napshare, like most (if not all) graphical clients lets you easily select which files you want with a mouse

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing console programs - I use mutt as my MUA, after all

I kind of like the kazaa media shell. Its efficient and not full of a built in media player that you don't need. You open it up type in the file you wanna download then select it and your done.

Hey can you get movies with napshare? Or just mp3s?

It's a Gnutella client, you can get anything that's on the Gnutella network. If nobody is sharing movies, then you can't get movies.

But, if you're wondering if it has the same mp3 restriction that Napster does, no, you can get all kinds of files with napshare.

*cough* www.edonkey2000.com *cough*

Then find goweena's site, via www.zeltren.net

At this point, I'm going to chime in from the old skool point of view - I miss dedicated dialups to bbs's and "secretly" hidden ftp servers. Linux has all the tools - and the best part is, enough to make it easy to use for Linux users, and impossible for those lame AOLers... Best filesharing programs? Try ftp and minicom

where do you find those ftp sites? Usenet?

I'd like to know too. I mean most places I've seen (even on Usenet) are usually flooded or taken down within 10 mins of posting. :