Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

can't remove a core file

Thread: can't remove a core file

can't remove a core file

Hi, everybody.
    I had a power shortage last night when I played RTCW MPTest, and just now I noticed that my / filesystem got enormously low, and I found a core file in /proc directory which is >500Mb. I am trying to remove it. It is a read-only I tried to chmod 666 and then remove it to no avail it stays read-only forever. Guys any ideas how to get it off my shoulders? 500Mb ... it is another couple of demos from loki-games.
    Thanks in advance

Re: can't remove a core file

Hello,
    I strongly - ney I very strongly recommend against removing *ANY* file from /proc - this is not on the harddrive, it exists in memory - here is a good read on it:

http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/li...inuxAdmin.html

the core file is a copy of all items in memory and when there is a core dump this file gets dumped.

try a find / -name core and remove any that are laying around except those in the /proc directory.

Yeah, I see pbharris, but I tried find / -name core and the only one is in /proc, but hey it's freaking 500 Mb, I need it back, I tried to see what caused it with strings kcore, and the only usefull info was that it was created during bootup, I saw the first lines of my lilo.conf file, and bunch of junk afterwards.
    Thanks

Try this,
    du -m /proc - i am guessing you have 512 MB of ram, this is not really 512 MB in size.

Here is how you can find the big hogs
    first do a df -h then a du -h /directory_name to see where the big hogs are.

Thanks for your help, I figured it out. Stupid me. It is my memory, and I found a huge core dumped file in my /var/log. It was about 250Mb I got rid off it easily.