Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mp3s --> oggs

mp3s --> oggs

Does anybody know a console program that will convert mp3 files into ogg files?

Or, failing that, does anybody know a console program that will convert mp3s files into wav files? (because I have oggenc that can convert wavs into oggs).

Thanks

Re: mp3s --> oggs

Oh, and I do know about XMMS's diskwriter plugin, but I'd rather use a console program so I can make it into a script to convert all my mp3s at once

ok, mpg123 seems to work for what I need, but only for mp3 files that don't have id3v2 tags. Anybody know either

a) how I can get mpg123 to ignore the ID3v2 tag,

b) what I can do to remove the id3v2 tag, or

c) a program that does the same as mpg123 but supports id3v2 tags?

Thanks

I don't think mpg123 converts them into wavs, but instead raw pcm format. It's just a wav without the header. You may want to make sure oggenc can handle them though before converting all of your mp3's.

I don't think mpg123 converts them into wavs, but instead raw pcm format. It's just a wav without the header. You may want to make sure oggenc can handle them though before converting all of your mp3's.
    There's an option to make it do wavs. I've already converted most of the ones that don't have ID3v2 tags, and the conversion works fine. I kept the mp3 and the wav, though, just in case. I'm going to test all the oggs before I delete them.

I'm considering removing the id3v2 tag with hexedit...

excuse my ignorance......as i understand its a sound file, but what exactly is an ogg?

Kind Mastermind

excuse my ignorance......as i understand its a sound file, but what exactly is an ogg?
    It's an open-source, royalty-free alternative to mp3. Obviously, it doesn't have the hardware support (like mp3 players), but it is really quite good. Very comparable to mp3 for quality, depending on the bit rate used.

I'm not an audiophile, and I can't hear the difference between an mp3 and an ogg. I can, however, see that most of the mp3s I've converted into oggs got smaller, and that oggs have a more versatile commenting scheme (especially with none of this controversy over id3v2).

I did end up just using XMMS's disk writer plugin to convert the other mp3s... in fact, I just finished the last one a few minutes ago... just have to let oggenc encode all these wav files now...

8) Ogg Vorbis 8)

And as of 5 minutes ago, there's not a single mp3 on my computer

Whoa - 2 GBs of MP3s turned into 1.7 GBs of Oggs!

Nice way to start the new year Feztaa