I thought I'd ask the members to the forum this question. Does Linux need Microsoft?

I read Linux news from time to time and see the steady adoption of Linux in the world, from simple Firefox to entire governments moving away from Microsoft. It is clearly easy for people to reject all things Microsoft and use Linux. Many people do.

But should we? I sometimes wonder whether it is a good thing to completely replace a monopoly operating system with another, even if the replacement is open source.

Could Linux become complacent like Microsoft? Could it become bloated like Windows as Windows starts to fade? Could periodically rebooting Linux or reinstalling Linux eventually become common place?

I don't think Microsoft will go away. It won't die, it's a smart company, though sometimes not very ethical. When starting from scratch, Linux is clearly cheaper than Windows. When converting from Windows to Linux, versus upgrading a Windows version, it becomes almost a tie when training and learning curve inefficiencies are considered.

I think the Linux challenge will be not to become over confident, not to add too many rarely used features, and most importantly not to feel that people will use Linux just because it's not Microsoft.

I think Linux needs Microsoft for these reasons. What do you think?