Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A couple of Redhat questions...

Re: A couple of Redhat questions...

1) I said to log into the GUI as root so as to not get into the whole su and su - confusion.
    Yep, aside from the fact that logging into the GUI as root is a really bad idea, then no problem.

And what do you mean the su/su - confusion? Before you came along, I was using a regular 'su' just fine, thanks.

I figured out how to change the desktop res with Xconfigurator (do some of u guys try to confuse noobs on purpose?? :-/) It was really easy....As for the USB modem, linuxconfig doesnt work. It doesn't detect it at all. I have yet to get it working....
    Hi Bruce,
    It looks like the modem will attach to a ethX device, if you ahve one NIC in you box you may want to check out device eth0.

Yep, aside from the fact that logging into the GUI as root is a really bad idea, then no problem.

And what do you mean the su/su - confusion? Before you came along, I was using a regular 'su' just fine, thanks.
    Take a look at my post above about su / su -. When you JUST su, you dont get root's path/profile setup. You get root privilage, but none of the rest. When you do su - you emulate a complete login of root, processing the .bashrc and the .bash_profile, along with the system wide profile. Can save you some headache later. Most of us (and your distro might have auto done it) alias su to su - just to be sure we dont fsck up! (;

I figured out how to change the desktop res with Xconfigurator (do some of u guys try to confuse noobs on purpose?? :-/) It was really easy....As for the USB modem, linuxconfig doesnt work. It doesn't detect it at all. I have yet to get it working....
    try 'setup' instead of linuxconf.

Take a look at my post above about su / su -. *When you JUST su, you dont get root's path/profile setup. *You get root privilage, but none of the rest. *When you do su - *you emulate a complete login of root, processing the .bashrc and the .bash_profile, along with the system wide profile. *Can save you some headache later. *Most of us (and your distro might have auto done it) alias su to su - *just to be sure we dont fsck up! *(;
    Well, I always just su, I've never seen an alias to 'su -', but when I su and do something like 'vi ~/.bashrc', it does in fact edit root's bashrc and not the user's bashrc.

But I must reiterate, logging into the GUI as root is a very bad idea! Pretty soon you'll forget that you're root, you'll become complacent, and you'll make root your default login, then when you try to delete a file and make a small typo, you'll hose your entire system. Don't ever, ever log into the GUI as root!

Kind Mastermind

Don't ever, ever log into the GUI as root!
    Just what exactly are you trying to say here? ;D I agree with you. What's good for Windows ain't good for Linux (of course, it ain't good for Windows, either.).

Well, I always just su, I've never seen an alias to 'su -', but when I su and do something like 'vi ~/.bashrc', it does in fact edit root's bashrc and not the user's bashrc.
    yes, it will still see ~ as /root, but that's not what I'm saying.

WITHIN /root/.bashrc or .bash_profile there is aliases, and path's setup, that can be different from normal users. Say, user b has a path of /bin:/usr/bin and you type su then try to run something in /sbin just by typing the name of it, it will fail. Root's path includes /sbin and /usr/sbin so if you su - then type the program by just the name, it will work. See what I'm trying to say?

you type su * then try to run something in /sbin just by typing the name of it, it will fail.
    Explain to me how this is worse than logging into the GUI as root.

Root's path includes /sbin and /usr/sbin so if you su - * then type the program by just the name, it will work. *See what I'm trying to say?
    Yes, I understand that. I understood that from the very first time that "su -" was brought up, I've just never used it. Explain to me how having to type the extra '-' is somehow worse than logging into the GUI as root.

Well, I for one, never DID make that statement, but now I will.

Logging into your gui as root is bad becuase it starts up various software as root, and also, unless you disable it, it will open up a port for connection, as root. Not something you really want. Just having root level inside one of your consoles is fine, as it's almost an isolated console, not the entire gui system.

Of course, it all depends on how paranoid you are...

the main argument that 'I' was making, su - instead of su.

Well, I for one, never DID make that statement, but now I will.
    No, but vee-eye was giving me that impression.

Logging into your gui as root is bad becuase it starts up various software as root, and also, unless you disable it, it will open up a port for connection, as root. *Not something you really want. *Just having root level inside one of your consoles is fine, as it's almost an isolated console, not the entire gui system.
    Yes, that too. Complacency is also an issue. Suffice it to say:

logging into the GUI as root = BAD.

Of course, it all depends on how paranoid you are...
    Not really, it has more to do with how security-conscious you are. If you don't care, and you want to run the risk of destroying your system, then fine: load the GUI as root.

the main argument that 'I' was making, su - instead of su.
    I still don't see why it's so important. I've been using a regular 'su' my whole linux-using time without incident.