Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

A couple of Redhat questions...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple of Redhat questions...

A couple of Redhat questions...

Im a Linux noob, so please make your responses as simple as possible ??? I just installed Redhat and I can't even get the simplest things to work. #1 How do I change the desktop reslolution? I cant seem to find it anywhere. #2 How do I configure my internet connection? I have a USB cable modem. Any help would be appreciated. BTW, i'm using that Gnome gui thingy ;D

Re: A couple of Redhat questions...

about configuring for internet;
    open the terminal. sign in as root. enter the command
    netconf <enter>

You will likely have many more questions about Linux as you get into it. It might be well worth your time and frustration reduction to buy a good Linux book (by now you should be able to pick them up second-hand from the Microsoft bum near the Salvation Army for next to nothing!).

For a great learning experience, change the screen resolution by editing the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file (assuming you're running X-4.X.X, not X-3.X.X). See:

http://www.xfree86.org/4.1.0/Install3.html#5

for all the details. Welcome to Linux... 8)

Good Guru

. #1 How do I change the desktop reslolution? I cant seem to find it anywhere. #2 How do I configure my internet connection? I have a USB cable modem. Any help would be appreciated. BTW, i'm using that Gnome gui thingy *;D
    Reply #1 --> in the file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 there s a section that has your default bit depth and all of the modes associated with it. The first rez is the default rez for that bit rate. You can edit this by hand or if you are unconfortable, post it so we can show you how to do it or use the setup util at the command line (not on an xterm, at a Ctrl-Alt-F1 type screen). I can help if you post that file. Linux looks hard till you do it once. Then its a hell of alot easier to do.

Reply #2--> Read the post in the Tech Support section, or use the GUI for networking or internet setup. Either way the same answer

Good luck!

#2 How do I configure my internet connection? I have a USB cable modem. Any help would be appreciated. BTW, i'm using that Gnome gui thingy *;D
    Log into the GUI as root, and type linuxconf at a terminal. *A graphical system administrator's utility will appear, and you will be able to configure your cable modem by going into the Network section (I'm not sure what it's called) and filling in the numbers for your ip address, DNS server, etc.

linuxconf is only available in Red Hat (I think it's located in /sbin/linuxconf. *On Slackware, I know the network configuration utility is netconfig.

Reply #1 --> *in the file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 *there s a section that has your default bit depth and all of the modes associated with it. *The first rez is the default rez for that bit rate.
    Thanks! *I edited the resolutions in the Screen section and now X starts at 800x600 pixels instead of 640x480 pixels. *That was a big help.

Linuxconf is no longer used as of redhat 7.1 I think. They have moved all thier setup utilities into a simple one, 'setup'. Just type 'setup' in the console as root, and go to town.

Ugh! NO!! NOOO!!!!

Log into the GUI as a normal user, open a terminal, type su, then enter the root password, then type linuxconf

linuxconf is only available in Red Hat
    Funny, I can install it on my Debian box

please please please! Make a perminate alias in your head or on your box.

su - not su. when you use su, you get root privelages, but you keep your users profile.

When you use su - you get roots profile, paths, prompt, etc....

Most distros don't include the sbin/'s in the normal users paths, for good reason.

Linuxconf was 3'rd party, available to multiple distro's. It's outdated now, and has caused many problems, hence RedHats abandonment of it.

1) I said to log into the GUI as root so as to not get into the whole su and su - confusion. *Then a detailed explanation of PATH would have been necessary, etc. I would never do that myself.

2) I installed Red Hat 7.1 a long time ago and linuxconf was available.

3) I didn't know you could just install linuxconf on any distro, like regular software.

I figured out how to change the desktop res with Xconfigurator (do some of u guys try to confuse noobs on purpose?? :-/) It was really easy....As for the USB modem, linuxconfig doesnt work. It doesn't detect it at all. I have yet to get it working....