Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compiling MPlayer gives errors

Re: Compiling MPlayer gives errors

Well, the mplayer developers have something against redhad and gcc 2.96 (I think that's the version they hate). It had problems detecting gcc for me, too (even though I'm running 2.95.4), so I just went into the configure script and commented out the part that checks for GCC (made it return true no matter what happens), and then it configured and compiled just fine

could you tell me what number line it is that i have to comment out and what it should say? after fiddling around with it i might have to compile from scratch!!!! no biggie. :

thanx
    SD

doesn't xine play asf files? I know it plays normal microsoft avi files and divx pretty well too, and Feztaa could you show me what you edited in the ./configure script so it wouldn't freak when it finds you have redhats gcc

could you tell me what number line it is that i have to comment out and what it should say?
    Well, it's been a while since I've compiled it, and I pretty much forgot how to do it, but it's really easy.

Just search for a few key words from the error message in the config file, then edit the program it tests against so that it's testing for "true", which of course, always returns true

its even simpler then that. All you have to do is ./configure --disable-gcc-checking

There you go

anyone have a bullet i can bite on? ok. i didnt know the exact syntax to disable gcc checking now i do. thank you.
    but when i ran that first, it warns you if youre sure you want to do that. doesnt say yes or no, just asks you. so i enter the same command. and it configures successfully but when i run make i get that same error i posted above. i think i need some tylenol. maybe the kind with cyanide in it.
    still lost....................
    ??? : > :-[ :-/ >

SD

i love the help though.

Espacially for MPlayer I downloaded and installed gcc-3.x.x and compiled it the right way, but other progs won't compile with gcc-3 afterwards so I removed it and put back gcc-2.96, but I am thinking on putting gcc-2.95 for now.

Good Guru

In case any body still is interested in compiling MPlayer and is having issues -- It is really not that tough, as some have previously mentioned. On my two RH7.2 boxes, I got it to compile just perfectly with one modification. I hacked the ./configure file to always compile regardless of the gcc version. Its also nice to compile in the filetypes that you wish to play right off the bat too