Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

home directory of /dev/null

Thread: home directory of /dev/null

home directory of /dev/null

Is it advisable to make a user's home directoy /dev/null if they have a false shell and no need of a home directory whatsoever? Or will this just screw things up?

Re: home directory of /dev/null

KP uses it (; its rather amusing at times.
    he set it up for FTP user's or mail users who wont have a shell account

KP uses it (; *its rather amusing at times.
    he set it up for FTP user's or mail users who wont have a shell account
    Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of doing it for my mail users.

Good Guru

What wrong with /bin/false?

/bin/false works just as well.

I moved all my mail users into a MySQL database, so that they don't have pam accounts to login via shell. As far as the OS is concerned they don't exist. Courier-mta though, reads the sql database for user authentication, and all the mail is stored in a set of folders, one for each user, and they just all have the same UID/GID. No problem, becuase the UID/GID of the folders is a user who's shadow is b0rked so that they can't directly login. Only root or somebody with sudo access can su - into the user, then get into the mail directories. Makes it quite secure. I'm trying to figure out a way to get proftpd to auth through the same sql database... Or I could just set each users shell to be /dev/null and tell proftpd that they don't need valid shells... but that's no fun! (;

What a lot of space I have in my home dir. now... I can just copy file after file into it... what a great tip

jokes aside, /bin/false will be fine

/bin/false works just as well.

I moved all my mail users into a MySQL database, so that they don't have pam accounts to login via shell. *As far as the OS is concerned they don't exist. *Courier-mta though, reads the sql database for user authentication, and all the mail is stored in a set of folders, one for each user, and they just all have the same UID/GID. *No problem, becuase the UID/GID of the folders is a user who's shadow is b0rked so that they can't directly login. *Only root or somebody with sudo access can su - into the user, then get into the mail directories. *Makes it quite secure. * I'm trying to figure out a way to get proftpd to auth through the same sql database... Or I could just set each users shell to be /dev/null and tell proftpd that they don't need valid shells... but that's no fun! *(;
    I was thinking of doing something similar, and moving my mail web-login to something php/mysql based. But for now I don't have the energy (time actually) and am still using the neomail/sendmail combination. Neomail development has stopped, however--at least Ernie Miller is no longer working on it--so I'm a little dissapointed. And I don't know enough about perl to make changes I was hoping to see in later releases.

Checkout courier-mta. It's a compete system, MTA (sendmail), IMAP/POP3 server, webmail server, maildir delivery, listserv, maildrop (server side filters), virtual domain support, sql database, postgre database, database file, pam, ldap auth capable, centralized calandering for webmail, etc etc... it just r0x!!