Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Java

Thread: Java

Java

I'm trying to get Java installed on my machine so that I can use things such as LimeWire, ICQ and a few other things.

Is this the correct package that needs to be installed?

http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0....dl.10000-103-
    1.lst-7-23.7820152

I've installed it but software that requires Java still refuse to run. *LimeWire gives this error when I attempt to install it:

No Java virtual machine could be found from your PATH environment variable. *You must install a VM prior to running this program.

Re: Java

No Java virtual machine could be found from your PATH environment variable. You must install a VM prior to running this program.
    did u add the java directory to ur path?

fsck I am having the same prob I cant freaking figure out how to install it I think mozilla once installed java for me.. So I am downloading it now...

The guide online basicaly only tells you to unzip it and install it with rpm but I cant install rpms...

did u add the java directory to ur path?
    Can you explain to me how I am supposed to go about doing this? Is it difficult?

just do

export PATH=/wherejavaisinstalled/bin:$PATH

just do

that will only work for the current session so next time u login it won't be set anymore. best way is to add that line to ur ~/.bash_profile and ~/.bashrc

This is sort of a nitpick, but I'd rather do this:

export PATH=$PATH:/where/java/is/installed

The reason being is that it gives the java dir a lower 'priority' than all the system binaries. It's especially important to do that if you happen to be setting root's path, because if you do it the other way, you end up with a security risk where people could put binaries into the java dir that override important system binaries (like 'ls' or 'rm'). Doing it my way prevents that.

If it's just a single-user home computer, it's not much to worry about, but if more than one person has access to the box, it's a really good idea to do it my way

And yes, it'd do you good to put it into your config file, too, so the the changes stick

Fezta:
    What type of config file... like .bashrc?

Never Mine I read Ralinx post...