Thread: Remote ripping with Grip

Remote ripping with Grip

I have just set grip up on my spare box and would like that to do all my encoding when I buy new cd's. That way I can still use my main computer without much slowness. The problem is, that computer doesn't have a cdrom in it. I would like to flick the cd into my main pc and then get grip to rip across the network. Does anyone know how to do it?

I've set up my cdrom on my main computer (windoze) to be shared and on my linux pc, I've symlinked /dev/cdrom to /mnt/cdrom (Where my windoze cdrom is mounted) but grip won't use /dev/cdrom now. It will use /mnt/cdrom but it won't pick up the tracks.

Someone?

Re: Remote ripping with Grip

you have to symlink it to the device, not the mount point - and I don't know how to go about doing that for remote cdrom.

Good Guru

Well, symlink the cdrom to the users home dir on the cdroms host machine. Then make a share to it and use that link there. That should work.

I'll have a go at that.

Okay, I've symlinked /dev/cdrom to //ktx/cdrom. Thats all. I've tried grip but it says 'Error: Unable to initialize [/dev/cdrom]

The cdrom on the host machine (ktx) is shared as 'cdrom' so I am not sure why its not working. Have I missed something?

this is just a guess and i'm definitely not sure of this, but it's possible that grip (and any other program that uses /dev/cdrom for that matter) is using cdrom-specific instructions. with that i mean that the kernel would interpret them differently than regular instructions for partitions. Since ur /mnt/cdrom is a symlink to a cdrom on another box, the kernel can't execute those instructions because the cdrom isn't physically in the box and maybe that's why it can't initialise it.

but like i said, i'm just guessing about this

hmm .. you could write a bash script to log in to your box via ssh and then copy the cd with dd or something as an image on your second pc and there you could rip it with a program like grip.
    I dont know if it works its just a quick idea ..

Quick and easy solution - get a cheap cdrom for your spare boxen !

I'm almost positive that you can't do this remotely... especially since you don't mount audio cd's anyway.....

Not sure if this is what you are looking for.

ch-b posted http://wwwhomes.uni-bielefeld.de/jhaeger/webCDwriter/ in another forum.