Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Linux Tips: A Folder View That Even a Gnome Would Love
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux Tips: A Folder View That Even a Gnome Would Love

Mentor

Linux Tips: A Folder View That Even a Gnome Would Love

Re: Linux Tips: A Folder View That Even a Gnome Would Love

Look out... Fatal's having a posting fit, I tell ya! A Posting FIT!!!
    Steve

So, any of you Gnome users like the new finder? Did you find it hard to switch to? Do tell.
    jro -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Mentor
    Finding LawnGnomes all over the place

Associate

I for one like it. But I don't count because I am an old Mac user...

Associate
    Quote Originally Posted by phatbob";p="6544
    I for one like it. But I don't count because I am an old Mac user...
    Why does everyone always say "I don't count because I am an old (insert OS name here) user..."

Your opinion is the way it is based on previous life experience - you shouldn't be apologizing for that.

We all came from something else and we all have preferences. Face it, nobody starts using linux before anything else.

The best part about it is that you can choose the behaviour. Windows folks can make it more windows-like and mac folks can make it more mac-like.

Linux is about flexibility.

It always makes me laugh when you have reviewers of a distro comment on the theme of choice. That is like saying you don't like the house cause the paint colours aren't what you want. If all you look for is colour and how pretty it is out of the box, then you need to step away from the keyboard. It takes maybe 5 mouse clicks to change it.

That is one of my biggest pet peeves of distro reviews. That and the fact that they focus on the install. If you use the distro for 2 months at 2 hours a day, then even a 1 hour install is less than 1% of the total time. This to me is like comparing engine break-in times and experiences on cars. In the end, what does it matter? There isn't a distro out there that works on 100% of the hardware available, windows included. There will always be some amount of tweaking to begin with. In fact, it takes me longer to install windows than it does any post 2001 Linux distro and I've been using and installign windows longer than linux.

Associate

Good points all, Tigger.

I was just letting people know my built-in biases regarding Gnome 2.6's folder views.

Associate
    2.8.x brings some speed to the equation as well.

Gnome has caught my eye lately. It is a nice a uncluttered interface for the user. KDE, IMHO has way too many options that are directly visible to the user. Gnome has a lot of options too but they are tucked nicely away in the conf editor. This kind of lets people ease into customizing rather than confuse them with more than they need to see.

I'm not a big fan of a zillion icons on a billion panels either.

That is what has made the mac so popular to the end-users all these years - simple and functional.

You reply really made me think Tigger. Alot of distro review really do spend the bulk of their time reviewing the installation. And I totally agree with you in that the install is really a miniscule part of the overall Linux experience.

So that leads to the question, what should a person review when they review a new distro? After the install you are pretty much left with, Linux. I am not disagreeing with you on anything, rather, I guess I am trying to pin down, what would an ideal distro review look at? I am interested in your opinion.
    jro -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Mentor
    After the install. What works, what doesn't work.