Thread: Plugins for Mozilla?

Plugins for Mozilla?

OK, I'm using Mozilla 0.9.8 with Debian. I want to use the Flash plugin with it; I downloaded it from the Macromedia site, and I did what they said I should (put the specified files into /usr/lib/netscape/plugins), and it didn't work for me. Does anyone know what I should do with this?

Also, should I scour mozilla.org for documentation on things like Chatzilla? The Help files are pretty near worthless for doing any kind of serious configuration or really, for figuring out how to use certain features.

Re: Plugins for Mozilla?

OK, I'm using Mozilla 0.9.8 with Debian. I want to use the Flash plugin with it; I downloaded it from the Macromedia site, and I did what they said I should (put the specified files into /usr/lib/netscape/plugins), and it didn't work for me. Does anyone know what I should do with this?
    Well, the instructions are tailored to netscape, so what you really ought to do is put them into the mozilla plugins directory. For me this is /opt/mozilla/plugins, though that won't work for you because debian doesn't use the /opt heirarchy. You'll have to look for it yourself. Try looking in /usr/mozilla or /usr/local/mozilla.

Also, should I scour mozilla.org for documentation on things like Chatzilla? The Help files are pretty near worthless for doing any kind of serious configuration or really, for figuring out how to use certain features.
    Bah! Mozilla is a browser, not a mail client, news reader, or (ugh) IRC client. I compiled it without all the extra crap, so I can't really help you there.

Well, the instructions are tailored to netscape, so what you really ought to do is put them into the mozilla plugins directory. For me this is /opt/mozilla/plugins, though that won't work for you because debian doesn't use the /opt heirarchy. You'll have to look for it yourself. Try looking in /usr/mozilla or /usr/local/mozilla.
    Bah...I put it in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ and it choked on me; Mozilla just rolled over and died. I guess I'll have to wait until it's supported before I start looking at the websites I want to look at.

Bah! Mozilla is a browser, not a mail client, news reader, or (ugh) IRC client. I compiled it without all the extra crap, so I can't really help you there.
    Well, the IRC client is a tad bit ugly (and the lack of proper documentation makes it even uglier, IMHO), but the mail client looks nice, and it gets the job done, so I don't really have any complaints there. I've always thought of Mozilla/Netscape as a web browsing suite, with a browser, email client, and an address book (and the simplified website building apps look kinda nice; I think it even has support for CSS...); I like how you can install all of the mozilla apps and not really need anything else to access the web (it's a different story for *real* Linux hackers who like to browse the web in the CLI, I guess).

Bah...I put it in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ and it choked on me; Mozilla just rolled over and died. I guess I'll have to wait until it's supported before I start looking at the websites I want to look at.
    Well that's just weird because it works just fine for me. When I said it was tailored to netscape, I was talking about the instructions, not the plugin. AFAIK Mozilla is fully compatible with all netscape plugins, just as long as the plugins are for the linux version of netscape (windows plugins don't work).

Well, the IRC client is a tad bit ugly (and the lack of proper documentation makes it even uglier, IMHO), but the mail client looks nice, and it gets the job done, so I don't really have any complaints there. I've always thought of Mozilla/Netscape as a web browsing suite, with a browser, email client, and an address book (and the simplified website building apps look kinda nice; I think it even has support for CSS...); I like how you can install all of the mozilla apps and not really need anything else to access the web (it's a different story for *real* Linux hackers who like to do browse the web in the CLI, I guess).
    I like Mozilla as a web browser, but it's really bad at everything else. That, and it completely goes against the unix philosophy.

Basically, I think of it like this: If you stuff an IRC client, email & news readers, address book, and a web browser into one program, it gets all bloated and slow. I recompiled mozilla to be nothing but a web browser so it would be faster.

Also, I happen to think that mutt makes a better mail client than mozilla, so having a mail client in mozilla would just be useless and redundant (especially considering it's not as robust).

Well that's just weird because it works just fine for me. When I said it was tailored to netscape, I was talking about the instructions, not the plugin. AFAIK Mozilla is fully compatible with all netscape plugins, just as long as the plugins are for the linux version of netscape (windows plugins don't work).
    Hrm...I suppose I'll just have to take a closer look at this. :-/

I like Mozilla as a web browser, but it's really bad at everything else. That, and it completely goes against the unix philosophy.

Basically, I think of it like this: If you stuff an IRC client, email & news readers, address book, and a web browser into one program, it gets all bloated and slow. I recompiled mozilla to be nothing but a web browser so it would be faster.

Also, I happen to think that mutt makes a better mail client than mozilla, so having a mail client in mozilla would just be useless and redundant (especially considering it's not as robust).
    Sure, it'll be bloated with all that stuff, but then again, most users, particularly users on Windows or, say, a Mac, may not really mind having all these options available to them. Also, who in Windows XP is going to use Mutt as a mail client?

I don't really think that any of the extras in Mozilla slow it down...I can run the mail app and the browser at the same time without any noticable issues... or were you referring to some other kind of slowdown?

Hrm...I suppose I'll just have to take a closer look at this. :-/
    My only guess is that you're trying to use the windows plugin with mozilla, though I don't see how you could get the windows plugin with the linux documentation.

Or maybe it was just a corrupted download. Try downloading it again.

Also, who in Windows XP is going to use Mutt as a mail client?
    You're right, there's probably no Windows XP users (unless they're linux users forced into using it) who would want to use mutt. But does that mean that I'm not allowed to use it?

I don't really think that any of the extras in Mozilla slow it down...I can run the mail app and the browser at the same time without any noticable issues... or were you referring to some other kind of slowdown?
    Well, I haven't benchmarked it or anything, it just seems logical that mozilla would speed up if you stripped a bunch of features out of it.

Anyway, even if it doesn't speed it up any, they're all features I don't use, so I might as well get rid of them.