Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

VMWare
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VMWare

Associate

VMWare

Does anybody have a ton of expirence using VMWare? I am wondering how well things like games(3d games more specificaly) perform under VMWare. My system is a 800mhz Duron with 384MB of Ram. From what I read on the VMWare site, they recommend a 400mhz with 256MB of Ram.

Re: VMWare

hello,
    i use vmware for tax software, i tried a few games and the result was pretty crappy, this is vmware2.0 - maybe vesion 3 is better.
    hth

Good Guru

Vmware doesnt do direct X, so gaming is useless under it. Same for Win4Lin. WIne is the only way to get any directX as of now for linux. There is a new plugin out for BeOS that is a Direct3d wrapper for OpenGL that seems to work well. However that is just D3d, not DirectInput/DirectSound or the other various parts of DX. If you are going to install windows to play games -- Dual boot. I have to for ONE game -- Rogue Spear (the greatest game on the planet, and possibly in existence period)

Associate

I didn't really want to Dual Boot, as if I had it setup like that, I'd probably never boot into Linux, since I'm always playing the game. * *I did some more poking around, and found that DirectX 8 isn't support with Wine yet, so I just may have to wait a bit longer to try anything. *:'(

I have a Duron 800 with 512 mb's of RAM and I'm running Vmware v3.0. Even with Direct x support I don't think you would be satisfied with gaming performance. I use it mostly to run router simulation programs for cisco(under winXP)...and also for photoshop, so I don't need spectacular graphic acceleration. It is a bit lagged just doing simple tasks...but it works. Btw, my duron is a 600 running @ 800, if you're not overclocking yours I suggest you get on it

Associate

Overclock, eh? Do you just have a standard heatsink and fan? I'd really like to hit 900mhz, maybe even 1ghz if possible

get 2 peltier elements put them on top of eachother then get a kickass fan don't remember all the strange names alpha pho4fan or something is what I have.

then you can overclock just keep an eye on the sensor so you don't get under 0 (celcius)
    have fun

Vmware sucks... Unless you have a box with 6 x 1 ghz procs... Then it will work decent...

The Duron's overclockability is the main reason I bought one. I managed to find a used unlocked "blue" core chip. If the processor's multipliers are locked(the L1 bridges have been cut with a laser) you can go to this page http://www.tweakers.net/reviews/150/6 to fix that.

As far as a standard heatsink and fan, I don't think so. I use a Taisol heatsink w/ a 5400 rpm fan...it's just little louder than an ordinary fan. I have gotten my 600 up to 900 mhz but it was very unstable. If your chip has a core clock of 800 then I think hitting 900 wouldn't be a problem. Just go to google and type in "duron overclocking" and you can find plenty of info on the subject. Good luck

Associate

I'm not sure what kind of Heatsink I have, but I do know that I already have a 5400rpm fan, I may have to look into this. Thanks for the tidbit. ;D