Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Slackware won't boot up

Thread: Slackware won't boot up

Associate

Slackware won't boot up

I'm going on 4 re-installs with slackware 8.0. The install goes fine, but when it's finished and I reboot, all I get is LI and a flashing cursor. I can boot from the CD then launch the OS on the HD after I login when I type startx it begins loading then crashes.

Help!

The last two time I choose full install, but nothing seems to matter. I know the drive is good, because I had Mandrake 8.1 on it prior and it ran with no problems.

Thanks

Good Guru

Re: Slackware won't boot up

Did you make your system to boot up from the HDD when you installed it?? If not, boot up from the CD with "rescue root=/dev/hdxx" option and run /sbin/lilo again. And make sure your HDD's MBR is clean too by doing "fdisk /mbr". I had the problem last time when I had the old LILO on the drive and the new install won't over-write the old LILO thinking that it already have it in MBR.

HTH...

Associate

Okay I'm a morron! I guess I should have read the lilo config section more closely. I choose the surper something option which requires you to use fdisk to make it bootable. This last time I choose the mbr option and it boots right up.

Even X works! Yahoo!

Associate

okay, how do I change windows managers? Can I make X load automaticly, like Mandrake, to a login screen where I can choose the windows manager?

Good Guru

Great.. choosing the MBR option should over-ride it. But for some reason, I found mbr to be too prone to corruption so I usaully leave my LILO on /boot partition and install "mbr" program on the HDD's MBR.

Different people have different preference....

Kind Mastermind

okay, how do I change windows managers? *Can I make X load automaticly, like Mandrake, to a login screen where I can choose the windows manager?
    Yes, on both counts. For changing the WM:

To make desktop selection easy, Slackware also includes a program called xwmconfig that can be used to select a desktop or window manager. It is run like so:

$ xwmconfig
    This program will help you change things. More info is here:
    http://www.slackware.com/book/index....rce=book1.html

As for the booting into x (not recommended), you need to change the runlevel to 5 in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1. I am not too sure where exactly it is (could someone with more experience with this please comment on it?).

Hope what I have posted proves helpful. BTW: thayne...your avatar looks a little like Dave Letterman with a goatee.

Associate

Thanks for the info! I guess I don't need to load directly into X.

After my last post I found entering kdm launched X and gave me the login screen.

David Letterman???? LOL!

okay, how do I change windows managers
    Create a file called ".xinitrc" in your home directory. If you want kde to load when you start X just write "startkde" in this file, if you prefer IceWM write "icewm" (always without the "&quot.

"gnome-session" starts gnome, "blackbox" starts blackbox. Pretty simple. I think this is the easiest way of changing window manager.

As for the booting into x (not recommended), you need to change the runlevel to 5 in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1. *I am not too sure where exactly it is (could someone with more experience with this please comment on it?).
    I believe itīs runlevel 4 in Slackware.

Look here on how to change runlevel.

Kind Mastermind

I believe itīs runlevel 4 in Slackware.

Look here on how to change runlevel.
    That's right, I forgot that Slackware uses a different runlevel series than Redhat (darn rh books. Every single one of my Linux books deals almost exclusively with RH or one of it's off-spring!). Thanks for correcting me. It is much appreciated.

Cheers

Good Guru

I forgot that Slackware uses a different runlevel series than Redhat
    Sucks, isn't it?? Debian uses run level 2 by default as well..... :