Thread: Befuddling Debian SID adventure.....

Hybrid View

Befuddling Debian SID adventure.....

So I was messing around in my new Debian SID install last night compiling a new kernel and installing ALSA. That all went well. As a matter of fact everything went well until I was trying to get xine to work as user. I made myself a part of the cdrom group, made the proper links for my dvd to operate. I further installed all the necessary libraries to make the dvd aspect of xine work but it just wouldn't do anything for user. Eventually I couldn't even launch it as user. It worked just fine as root but not as user.
    Further, sound did not work as user and everything that I tried (adduser, etc) didn't work. I just couldn't seem to get sound unmuted/working. Even the mixer I installed would not launch as user.

What happened? It has completely baffled me. I have a fresh install to play with tonight so if anyone can suggest something as to avoid the fiasco of last night it would be most welcome.

Good Guru

Re: Befuddling Debian SID adventure.....

Hhmmm Have never played with SID but I'm in Woody. Most of the problem with DVD and sounds are that users don't have permission to execute devices. It was common that many devices permission are not turned on for many distros.

I don't use Xine so I don't really know.. But I remember many people having problem with accessing to sound devices.

Well I finally figured it out. I needed to change the permissions on the cdrom/dvd and that got the dvd/cdrom working. As well I finally found the correct sound group (it was audio) and now that works just grand too, once I remembered to log out then back in.

Woody didn't pose the same troubles so now I am left wondering what I did right there that I didn't in SID. ???

Good Guru

I don't think it is distro specific. I remember having problem in my RH box as well as my Woody. About 6 installs I made on Woody, about 2 of them had problems. I think it's the way distro's set up file were called and all that stuff.. It was an easy fix though since it's very common for users not to have permission to hardware devices.