Thread: Vmware fun!

Vmware fun!

Well, I've fallen in love with vmware.

What I want to try to do is setup my work PC with linux, then install vmware, and XP or 2k inside the vmware session, and have that 2k or xp participate in the NT 4.0 domain structure of the lan. Has anybody attempted something like this?

Re: Vmware fun!

A friend of mine is a machead, and he's gone nuts with his emulation.

He showed me a screenshot of his OSX desktop, running BeOS, Win95, Win98, OS9.1, and MenuetOS all at the same time, in emulation. All but OS9.1, I believe, were running in VirtualPC.

Good god....

I always bug him by saying that macs are too crappy on their own, they have to act like other OS's in order to be any good

KP - should work like a champ. All you need to do is make sure that bridged networking is on, so your virtual machine can get a address on the real lan, etc.

KP - should work like a champ. All you need to do is make sure that bridged networking is on, so your virtual machine can get a address on the real lan, etc.
    Yeah, this is done already...

/me giggles in anticipation (;

XP may have some issues (so called Microsoft "security" issues : ) but 2k should be just fine. Keep in mind thought that it wont run as fast as a proper install. You might be able to run some apps on it, but most certainly not games, or Photoshop, or 3dsMAX... or anything like that.

And license fees for vmware are more than buying windows itself... and the license is not transferrable to newer versions (ie: 2.0.1 license doesnt work on 3.0, you get a discount for a new license, but still...)

But yeah, it quite capable of networking. You can set up samba or something and share files between host and client. But I found it easier making a secondary "psyhsical" fat32 partition, dumping stuuf on it in windows, and mounting it under linux.

TTFN,
    ScRapZ_1 :P

I completed the task.

I have Red Hat 7.2 installed on the laptop, and Windows XP Pro in Vmware, with Office XP pro as well. Both are working as great as they can, and I only needed it for exchange email... *shrug* I'm happy now.