Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

webmin - for a standalone system

Thread: webmin - for a standalone system

webmin - for a standalone system

I installed webmin, read the docs and pointed my browser to http://localhost:10000 as suggested.But i cannot access any sites because it keeps asking for a username and password.( which according to the docs should be my root password). but wont accept it (or any other password i have tried).

So my question is this. Is webmin a useful tool for a standalone p.c. as i have heard it can configure almost everything the O/S needs

Cheers
    LiNuts

Good Guru

Re: webmin - for a standalone system

Is webmin a useful tool for a standalone p.c. as i have heard it can configure almost everything the O/S needs
    Webmin is an excellent program if you need to configure services via web interface. But for standalone system which you will be sitting infront of it, may be not ( unless you insist on using web interface ).

When you installed Webmin, it should have asked you who would be the admin person for webmin. If you choose to one of the normal user, then that it's.

I installed via apt-get So i am guesing that it would want my root password, it never asked me or anything, it just installed.

I visited the webmin site and had a look at their extensive documentation, and they suggest that i change the username and password to something else, as when webmin is setup it installs as root, but i dont know hwre to do this, In mt /etc/webmin there is an acl file that is empty, is this where i change the username and password ?.

If its not going to be of any benefit to me (I.E. to be able to graphically configure my system using webmin) then i guess i should uninstall it.

Cheers
    LiNuts

Good Guru

I'm not sure where is the webmin configuration file is but if you do "whereis webmin" it should show somewhere.

Webmin work with modules. Thus it has modules for Apache, SAMBA, MySQL and stuff like that so I'm not sure you can configure your *whole* system via webmin.

Did you also try blank password?

I finally got it to accept my root password, but then all i get is a File not found error when i try different sites. I am starting to think you are right, its not much good for a standalone, so i will uninstall it.

Thanks for the help ;D
    Cheers
    LiNuts

Good Guru

I use webmin alot. *I install it after I get my box up after my install to get stuff configured quickly. * I have yet to have an issue with it.

Make sure that you are going to http;//localhost:10000 in your browser. *And use root and your root password the first time. Afterwards add a user so that user has admin access not root (security reasons) . I have also noticed that older versions of webmin do not work well with Konqueror. *I generally use Netscape 6, so it was a non-issue for me (my roommate likes Konqueror, so it was an issue with him)

Let me know when and whre an error pops up and Ill try to replicate it and let you know what is going on.

O.K. I have got it up and running, Now all i have to do is figure how do i use it. I made a new user (non root). There are only about 5 modules in it.
    I am using the junkbuster proxy on 5865, so while in webmin i set the proxy to 5865 but i cannot browse, i get a 'file not found error' every time. Is there a way i can use my junkbuster proxy and browse the net while using webmin, or do i have to keep swapping between 10000 and 5865.
    Cheers
    LiNuts