Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ReiserFS

ReiserFS

I'm doing another LFS tomorrow, and I was going to use ReiserFS.

Does anybody have any experience with ReiserFS? Anything I should watch out for?

Thanks.

Re: ReiserFS

I'm doing another LFS tomorrow, and I was going to use ReiserFS.

Does anybody have any experience with ReiserFS? Anything I should watch out for?

Thanks.
    Watch out for complete data loss.... Reiser has yet to pass qa tests at the Red Hat camp... I wouldn't trust it on my box....

In benchmarks, the only time that reiser was faster than ext3 was when dealing with a massive amount of small files...

:
    reiserFS is the default filesystem for SuSE for quite some time now (I guess a year or so) and I have yet to see the forums burst with SuSE users struggeling to recover their data.

Personally i used it for a while (read a few months) and didn't see a problem. Switched to ext3 just because and didn't change back because I don't see a big performance difference. I gave up hunting for test results that compare FS performance as you just have to search long enough to find a test where your personal favourite wins...

ReiserFS _is_ stable enough for a production enviroment: A fileserver for a small university network that I maintain runs it without any data corruption for almost a year now.

I've used it ever since Slack 8.0 came out without a problem.

The SuSe daddy has never had problems with ReiserFS....

Im also using Reiser and I havent got any problems, and I just read about a test made by a german computer magazine ( c't ) they tested journaling filesystems and hadnt any data loss, the only filesystem with a few problems was jfs IIRC ..

I've used ReiserFS and ext3. While I like ext3 better because of the back up of data and meta-data, I havn't had any problems with Reiser (which only backs up meta-data I want to say).

Good Guru

I found that for day to day use (non server) ext3 is much snappier and smoother than Reiser was. I used reiser in RH7.1 (Ithink, maybe it was 7.0 ... dont recall) and Slack 8. My slack box still had too get reformatted due to data corruption (the only non-MS corruption issue I hav ever had) and RH got upgraded during the shift to 7.2, so I decided to make a clean install (for the sole purpose fo getting rid of Resier).

If you got a choice, go ext3 or XFS. Otherwise, as KP said, Reiser has had some serious problems (albeit for servers mostly).

HTH

Speaking of filesystems, is there a FS under Linux that has support for softupdates?

Good Guru

What is a 'soft update' ?