Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: aterm for Red Hat 7.x

Good Guru

Re: aterm for Red Hat 7.x

I'm not sure what kde is using to set the background, how very annoying.
    Yeah, isn't it?? So when people who created software proclaim to be known to work with specific distro or WM, some people bitch that it shouldn't be the issue. The problem is there are so many different and unique configurations that to tackle everything is just huge task unless you have someone test it for you.
    I do know that some times kde will set a background, and *only konsole will be able to go transparent with it....
    You may be right. I can set with Konsole no problem.. In fact, I can set the Linux Console or Midnight commander console with no problem as well if I do it within Terminal Emulator shell.

Ok, from what I can gather at the website, the optional png/jpg support was never really added in..... it can however load a section of those images using it's transparency mode...

Good Guru

it can however load a section of those images using it's transparency mode...
    So when I set the transparency, just give the name of the PNG file after +tr?

Don't think so. Transparency is with -tr, but like I said, KWM does some funky things with setting the background image, and aterm might not be able to get to it to load it properly.

From Aterm's site:

Disadvantages :

1. We have no control over background. We cannot change it at will, nor we can shade/tint it. Partial workaround for tinting is implemented in aterm to fill window with color using XOR combination of it with the background - it helps, but still is limited to few colors - blue, red, green, yellow, magenta and cyan ( see more about tinting below).
    2. Some window managers ( KWM for instance ) tend to reparent application windows, and, god knows why, they decide to set it's background to something bogus, instead of leaving it alone. ATERM is trying to overcome it by changing background of such a parent to ParentRelative from time to time, but that does not always work. Again we don't really worry about it, as we designate ATERM mainly for AfterStep users .

Good Guru

* 1. We have no control over background. We cannot change it at will, nor we can shade/tint it. Partial workaround for tinting is implemented in aterm to fill window with color using XOR combination of it with the background - it helps, but still is limited to few colors - blue, red, green, yellow, magenta and cyan ( see more about tinting below).
    Yeah, that seems to be true. Even with -tr , it takes the image's main colors ( e.g .. if it's browndish color, then it will have brown color background and if it's blueish, then it is more to blue ).
    Again we don't really worry about it, as we designate ATERM mainly for AfterStep users .
    Oh yeah I know .... I might install AfterStep for the heck of it... ;D

I would like to note that aterm works flawlessly with fluxbox.... (;

and window maker for that matter.

Good Guru

I would like to note that aterm works flawlessly with fluxbox.... (;

and window maker for that matter.
    I will let you know when I boot into Gnome with fvwm ( I think ). For right now, I'm doing homework in KWord so no booting into Gnome, sorry.

Hehe, I would ALSO like to point out, youcan run kword from fluxbox just fine.....

Good Guru

Hehe, I would ALSO like to point out, youcan run kword from fluxbox just fine.....
    Oh yeah, I know.. I can run from Gnome fine too ( KWord, Konqueror, KMail )... What I meant is that I'm in the middle of doing my homework right now.

and fvwm !! aterm runs great under fvwm