Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giving konq a fair shake...

Hybrid View

Giving konq a fair shake...

So, I'm trying to use konq... it's fast, it starts up fast, (kde 3) and it *seems* ok. Fonts are nice becuase of AA.

BUT, when using khtml as the viewer, things seem to get sloppy, I get some screen residue, some links overhighlight, I get weird screen flashes... it's just not right.

But, if I try to use Kmozilla, I can't even login to here, and that I don't like.

Has anybody else noticed this?

These reasons, plus the lack of tabs, is driving me right back to mozilla....

Good Guru

Re: Giving konq a fair shake...

I'm on Kon 2.2.2 with KDE 2.2.2-2 and no problem here .... Mozilla is just plain slow for my taste.

Heh, on a duron 950, with half a gig of ram, moz 0.9.9 just can't be considered slow for me (;

Good Guru

Moz don't run slow .. It just display slow may be due to the way it render web pages.

And yes Kon also have some problem rendering some web pages especially if it's strickly designed for Winders world. In that sites, I've got a good use of Moz as well.

To be honest, I've put the newest konq and the newest moz in a side by side test. Konq *looks* like it renders faster because it renders on the fly. Moz *looks* like it takes longer becuase moz will wait until just about the whole page is done rendering before displaying to the screen.

When you time start to finish, they are both equal. atleast on my box...

Good Guru

When you time start to finish, they are both equal.
    Agree, that's why I said;
    Moz don't run slow .. It just display slow may be due to the way it render web pages.
    Of course, downloading web pages doesn't usually depend on the browser but the way the browser display it. And that's why Opera beats hand down to both Kon and Moz. They display it a lot quicker and nicer than both Kon and Moz. If I'm not a close source fanatic, I would use Opera.

*shrug* Opera isn't as configurable enough for me, (eg remove the banner without paying)

I *WOULD* like to see moz get a 'full screen' optoin though, that would be 'leet!

BUT, when using khtml as the viewer, things seem to get sloppy, I get some screen residue, some links overhighlight, I get weird screen flashes... it's just not right.
    I haven't noticed any of these things. *I think the people behind KHTML are doing a wonderful job and have produced a fine product.

There is only one web page that I cannot use in Konqueror: my school's web page. *They don't allow anyone not using IE to visit their page. *I can even do my online banking from Konqueror just fine.

I use konqueror as my primary browser. *I never use Mozilla, Netscape, or Opera. *But that is only my opinion

One more downfall, it can't use a proxy script file, like moz/netscape/IE can. I have to use a proxy script at work, can't go directly through a proxy address, and only moz can do it right on my linux box. *shrug* to the lizard I go!

Is anyone else bugged by the whole "its a browser and a file manager" thing, like Explorer? I hate this trend, give me a browser that is a good browser, not a whole dang shell!