Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ripping CD's into ogg format

Kind Mastermind

Ripping CD's into ogg format

Okay, folks, I have a question or two regarding oggs. *To start with, I have done all of my ogg encoding under windows. *I have a cool program that encodes directly from the CD and even produces the winamp-style playlists (even includes id3 tags).

Now, I want to encode my cd collection to ogg under Linux. *I know how to use oggenc (the man page is surprisingly clear). *I just don't know how to rip my cds to wav format so that I can encode them into ogg. *Is there any program which will rip the tracks straight from my cds and put them in the directory of my choice as oggs? *If not, how can I rip my cds to wav format?

Thanks, guys.

Re: Ripping CD's into ogg format

Why not use grip to do it for you ?

or try messing around with audiocd kioslave

Anyways, grip supports CDDB and ogg encoding as long as you have the binaries for oggenc.

Kind Mastermind

Why not use grip to do it for you ?

or try messing around with audiocd kioslave

Anyways, grip supports CDDB and ogg encoding as long as you have the binaries for oggenc.
    Doh! You know, Lovechild, I was looking at grip, but passed it up since I thought it was mp3 only (shows you how much I know about grip, eh?). Thanks, man, I will give it a try as soon as I can. You rock 8)!

oh and d00d... you have to the encoding variables yourself, the ones grip defines are no good... I'll post the correct ones later.. mmmkay !

Kind Mastermind

oh and d00d... you have to the encoding variables yourself, the ones grip defines are no good... I'll post the correct ones later.. mmmkay !
    mmmkay...I'll wait. I probably won't be able to do any real encoding until Tuesday, anyway. I start vacation on Tuesday, should be in Germany by Sunday, and with any luck, I'll be home by the end of the following week.

Or, you could just use cdparanoia and get your wave files right away. cdparanoia is awesome, that's all I have to say.

A while ago I heard that you can browse music CDs like any other file system in Konqueror and when you cut and paste the songs from a music cd to the harddrive, it will automatically encode them into ogg format. I've tried this and it worked for me.

A while ago I heard that you can browse music CDs like any other file system in Konqueror and when you cut and paste the songs from a music cd to the harddrive, it will automatically encode them into ogg format. I've tried this and it worked for me.
    that would be audiocd kioslave. It's great !.

Also, some newer kernels provide CDFS, which also is cool, since you can browser the cd's like their were wav files, and just encode directly to harddisc.

Kind Mastermind

Thanks, guys. I will look into Konq and cdparanoia (since they are both installed on my system). I think that I will be downloading the latest grip, as well.

8)LJR 8)

Or, you could just use cdparanoia and get your wave files right away. cdparanoia is awesome, that's all I have to say.
    Grip is a GUI frontend to cdparanoia