Thread: convert from evolution to kmail

convert from evolution to kmail

i discovered today that evolution has been trashing my emails randomly for the past week or so. for some reason MOST email that had a filter associated, went where it should and MOST email that had no filter got trashed. notice, MOST, not all, so I couldn't figure out what was going on. anyway, i lost who knows how much mail thanks to this, so I'm switching to kmail again. i like to leave my mail program open 24/7, and that gave evolution the chance to delete a whole lot of email. now what i want to know is, can i convert evolutions stored mail to kmail, without just forwarding them to myself ('cause i'd like to maintain the headers)?

tia,
    cameron

Re: convert from evolution to kmail

kmail has an import tool but nothign specifically for evolution. How does evolution store its mail?

there is a folder called "local" and in that folder is all the folders I set up in evolution (i.e. inbox, trash, outbox, etc.) and within each folder is a file called "mbox" and another called "mbox.ibex" and a third called "mbox.ev-summary"

can i just import each "mbox" file one at a time? if so, how?

i figured it out, but i'm going to reply to myself just in case anyone else wants to know. i set up another account in kmail's settings, and set it to local. then, i chose the "mbox" file in the first folder within /home/user/evolution/local/ and then told kmail to check for mail in that account. then i changed the settings for the next folder's "mbox" file, and repeated that until i had checked for new mail in each folder. now i've ditched evolution and i'm back to kmail.