Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Looking for software for a test box at a school

Thread: Looking for software for a test box at a school

Hybrid View

Looking for software for a test box at a school

OK, as many of you know, I work as an intern in a high school. They are wanting something cheaper than Windows (damn licenses). So I thought about Linux (duh!). Keeping in mind that the boxes are P133's with 16 or 32 megs of RAM and hard disks do not exceed 1 gigabyte, here's what I considered:

- Sleek Distro (Peanut, Slack, Deb)
    - 2.2 Kernel
    - Netscape 4.77 (pretty stable and fast enough)
    - typespeed and/or typist for typing software

Now, I need a sleek and pretty complete office suite. OpenOffice, StarOffice, AbiWord and KOffice are out of the question. Anyone knows something that's cute and hopefully free? Right now, I can only think of Applixware, but it's not free (but if that's the only option, it won't be a problem to get them to buy it).

Re: Looking for software for a test box at a schoo

i have applixware and it is very fast and i have had it for about 3 years so i know it runs on older hardware, but it is not cheap.

what the h*ll - have them use vim, latex and ispell

I think your only option in that category is Applixware. But 40 bucks for systems? Cant beat that....otherwise youre looking at a mem upgrade.

Vince: If youre looking for a lowfat system, does that mean youre going to use a Windowmanager such as Flux, TWM, or WindowMaker??

It's Blackbox, no question